Ashley Rowlands
Ashley Rowlands
  • Richmond, VA

Painting Upholstery

I painted a chair using a mixture of latex and acrylic paint and fabric medium! It's not crunchy either! http://www.attemptsatdomestication.com/paint-a-chair/
painting upholstery, painted furniture
Ashley Rowlands

• Mark

They do make furniture dye available at craft stores, or at art supply stores. It's pretty difficult to mix the right ratio of paints to get the color you desire and not have crunchy furniture. If by chance you do get the mix right and your furniture is pliable, take a long good look because it wont look that good for long. Paint is not intended to be used this way and it will not hold up. Imagine sitting and laying on your painted walls, the acids from your skin, dirt, dust, pets it will immediately begin breaking down this finish. Why not just use a medium thats designed for this purpose? Dye is cheaper than paint and you can get any color, or combine a couple for your own custom color.

• Blu11356773

Really?! Have you tried it? I have a purple chair that's faded - but a spotie fade. Think furniture dye would even it out? Thought about mixing dye in a spray bottle and doing it that way but wasn't brave enough.

• Linette Templeman

Love the idea of painting my yellow couch grey. How much paint and fabric medium do you use,also what kind of paint latex? Do you use flat or eggshell,satin,semigloss? You did a beautiful job.