Fall Hint for Remembering Which Hosta to Divide in the Spring!

I have a wonderful hosta garden in a tree covered, shaded area. I like it when the hostas flow from one texture to another so my hostas are fairly close. Now when Spring comes, it is hard to remember which hostas I wanted to divide. Here's a great hint!
See how the shades of green and textures flow from one to another? Mix in a few ferns and heucheras for more texture.
So this is my hint. The hostas die down and the leaves cover them up. In the Spring, it is hard to remember which ones needed dividing. Well, I simply stick a red, sturdy plastic knife in front of the hostas that I identified to divide.
I label both the top and bottom with Permanent Marker. The elements may wear away the top of the knife, but the bottom stays great. Now, stick that red knife into the ground. When Spring comes and you blow off the leaves, the red knife stays sturdy marking the spot! No guessing which one needs dividing! I use another color knife (green) for an identity marker on each plant . The red just stands out so easily for the reminder to divide! Hope this helps!

Phyllis

• Olga Jenikov-Pelnar

I tried spraying with chili pepper, cinnamon...nothing worked. This year I am getting a fence!

• Roberta

Dog Hair... any pet hair. It works. We have two siberian huskies & we lay it around many of our plants. You have to repeat periodically, but deer & bunnies DONT like the smell of predatory animals. Try it & good luck.