Armoire Renovation

$100

I’m not at all crafty like so many others on this site, but I wanted to share my armoire-to-bar project. I know many of you have these in your basement now since some donation sites won’t even take them. Here's how I gave mine a whole new fresh look and function! Check it out.

armoire renovation

This is what it looked like when we started.

armoire renovation

Mine had a large hole cut out of the back for our TV. I used wooden slats to fill in the back.

armoire renovation

I decided to use this pretty blue grey paint. Rethunk Junk paint requires no priming or sanding, I love it!

armoire renovation

These are the slats I used for the back of the armoire.

armoire renovation

For the inside shelf, I bought already primed wood at Home Depot that clicked together and had it cut to fit the space. I glued it in place with wood glue.

armoire renovation

I then did a little sanding which added to the distressed look. It's the details that count!

armoire renovation

Finished! It now serves as a perfect wine rack. It looks great, and I hope you like it too.

• Rethunk Junk paint  (You probably need to order it.)
  • Wood cut to fit  (Home Depot)
  • Wood glue

• Susanna

It's a great idea to add the the shelf on top, I would like to do that to my armoire. My question is, how can just using wood glue, hold all those bottles of liquor? Seems like they would be too heavy.

• Debra murphy

You're right. I ended up reinforcing the shelf by adding a piece of wood under each end. I just stained them the same color and they blend right in. They were 7 X 1.5 X 1 in size, and I used three screws in each.

• Kristin

What brand is the paint? It's all blurry in my pic! Thank you

• Joyce

Where is the wine rack? I see a very nice bar

• Debra murphy

I shouldn’t have called it a wine rack. I was referring to the racks I bought to hold the wine glasses that I installed under the shelves. They cost less than $10 and were simple to install.

• Tray

love it. Would even be a great coffee service bar!

• Maureen
    An hour ago

What a great job repurposing your old TV armoire. Your idea of the wood slats for the back was perfect 👍. I love the color..gotta love chalk paint..no sanding!!