Asked on Apr 14, 2019

How to keep kitties out of garden?

OlivaLisaShep
+4

I just cleaned up my perennial garden and spread new mulch. Now how do I keep the neighborhood feral cats from using it as a litter box? I don’t want to buy any expensive possibly dangerous chemical sprays etc. The cats have been here forever and are fixed so I don’t want to harm them just keep them out of my garden and flower beds

• Iowa Sue

There are those pet and wild animal sprays,but I have thrown down rhubarb leaves and left for a couple of days and that did the trick for raccoons on a deck. I've also used old mouse traps to scare them as I haven't caught anything other than mice when I've hidden them in planters but I no longer have plants pulled out of pots. You could also plant some ornamental onion or garlic as most wild critters don't seem to like the smell.

• Joy30150932

You could try sprinkling "Blood Meal" around the surface. It smells bad and they do not like it. I have also heard of folk using paprika and sprinkling that around the garden.

• Edith Freeman Franklin

Moth balls!!!!

• Linda Sikut

Hi Cynthia,

Here's an article with some ideas that might help you. Wishing you the best.

https://davidsuzuki.org/queen-of-green/keep-cats-garden/

• Shep

Sprinkle finely ground black or red pepper around your mulch... It does the same thing to cats, rabbits and squirrels that it does to you and me - it irritates their mucus membranes. Once you out it down, they will seek other areas. We also use ground pepper to keep critterss out of our trash cans. You'll need to refresh the pepper after it rains.

• Lisa

used coffee grounds, lemon and or orange peels. If that doesn't work, get a motion activated deterrent. None of these methods harm the cats.

• Oliva

Feral cats can bring a number of diseases into your property. Best to call animal control and have them removed.