What Old Stool?

$25

For weeks if not months, I had looked and stalked sheep skin foot stools. You know the type that make you swoon but also cost the earth?

I decided that I couldn't justify spending that much money on another item for the house, when I have a family to support.

It then came to me that I could make one with little effort. I already had a stool that I was going to chuck out. Maybe that would work?

Old stool

I bought some foam off eBay relatively cheap. 1.5cm in thickness.

Then marked out the area. I was able to double up on the height of the padding with the smallest measurements available to purchase.

Cut around th foam

Once I has cut the foam out. I used a glue gun to stick the foam together and then to the stool.

I used a glue gun as that's what I had to hand. But anything with a strong hold such as gorilla glue, superglue etc would do just as good a job.

My next purchase was the sheepskin.

I wanted it to overhang slightly. But wanted it even.

I found a supplier on eBay that's sells round rugs in a measurement that suited me. Again it was fairly cheap but also of a decent quality.

I applied a small amount of glue to the middle of the foam and then taking care to make sure it was centered. Glued to rug is to the stool.

I had toyed with stapling the bottom to the underneath of the set but decided I liked it loose like this.

Finished item.

I love it. It fits right in at home.

The stool was perfect height to double it up as a footstool. Yet when people come to visit it also gives us a spare seat around the coffee table.

Best part it it looks great in my living room at a fraction of the cost to have bought one.

Plus I've had loads of compliments on it from friends and family.

In it's new home

The finished project, it's exactly what I wanted!

• Susan Hensley

Could you tell me how I can how and who you got the sheepskin from?

• Natasha|Revamp_interior

Hi, it won't let me see the seller on my previous purchases but it was on eBay. I paid £11 for it and is a 60cm round faux sheepskin rug.

To be honest they are all pretty much like for like on there

• Jaynie

You can still get Aleenes Tacky glue at Michael's.

• Shirley

Aleene's Tacky Glue is the best! Except for outdoor or extreme temperature area projects... I made a pinecone wreath using it. My MIL hung it on the wall near their wood stove, and the pinecones fell off one by one.