What Old Stool?

$25

For weeks if not months, I had looked and stalked sheep skin foot stools. You know the type that make you swoon but also cost the earth?

I decided that I couldn't justify spending that much money on another item for the house, when I have a family to support.

It then came to me that I could make one with little effort. I already had a stool that I was going to chuck out. Maybe that would work?

Old stool
Old stool

I bought some foam off eBay relatively cheap. 1.5cm in thickness.

Then marked out the area. I was able to double up on the height of the padding with the smallest measurements available to purchase.

Cut around th foam
Cut around th foam

Once I has cut the foam out. I used a glue gun to stick the foam together and then to the stool.

I used a glue gun as that's what I had to hand. But anything with a strong hold such as gorilla glue, superglue etc would do just as good a job.

what old stool

My next purchase was the sheepskin.

I wanted it to overhang slightly. But wanted it even.

I found a supplier on eBay that's sells round rugs in a measurement that suited me. Again it was fairly cheap but also of a decent quality.

I applied a small amount of glue to the middle of the foam and then taking care to make sure it was centered. Glued to rug is to the stool.

I had toyed with stapling the bottom to the underneath of the set but decided I liked it loose like this.

Finished item.
Finished item.

I love it. It fits right in at home.

The stool was perfect height to double it up as a footstool. Yet when people come to visit it also gives us a spare seat around the coffee table.

Best part it it looks great in my living room at a fraction of the cost to have bought one.

Plus I've had loads of compliments on it from friends and family.

In it's new home
In it's new home

The finished project, it's exactly what I wanted!