Robert L Dolan
Robert L Dolan
  • Irwin, PA
Asked 2 days ago

How do I turn a pendant or hanging lampshade into a table lamp?

Patti MitchellWilliamAir22307905
+2

I found these old glass shades at a clean-out sale for a pub that is opening soon. They are rather nice. I do not like hanging or pendant lights and would like to use these shades to make table lamps. What materials do I need and how complex is the process. I want to be safe when working with electricity and the end result has to be stable and level.

q how do i turn a pendant or hanging lampshade into a table lamp

Overall view of the shade.

Detail of the amazing joint between panels.

Close up of the ring holding the panels together.

A view of the inside of the shade.

• Mik Grig
    Yesterday

buy PVC pipe the size u want it to be...rough It up with sand paper then use dark old English oil and coat the pvc pipe wipe off the excess this will make ur pvc pipe look like wood grain make ur base out of wood connect the pieces buy a lamp cord (I like the ones w/ the round switch) and ur done

• Air22307905
    Yesterday

I'd look for a heavy commercial base too. A great place to look for old lamps is at the thrift shops, Salvation Army and Goodwill. What others perceive as ugly and old fashioned I often find beauty and grace. Be patent though - make sure it balances your shade in width and height. They are very petty and quite old. It's slide glass.

Yesterday

Remove the bracket that the chain connects to. Should just screw off. The hole left is where the shade would mount the "banjo" on the table lamp. Make sure you measure the shade from the hole to the bottom so you get a lamp that the shade will cover the light switch. If you find a lamp you like but has a tall banjo you can buy a shorter banjo at the homecenter or hardware store.

• Patti Mitchell
    31 minutes ago

I don't have an answer, but I do have a question. Could the panels of glass on the shade be painted? I have a similar swag lamp in those colours and I want to paint it to match my decor. Is it possible?