Asked Yesterday

How do I get more space out of no space?

Debi53Jan ClarkAllinthefamilysingers
+4

I have recently moved from a big 6 bedroom home to a single wide traloir with an expand so 3 rooms total I have no closet hall closet or cabinet space trailor was in such dismay we tore out kitchen and bath and are in middle of finishing kitchen there is 4 adults and 1 grandchild that has more toys then toys r us. I need to make room for everyday living HELP!

q get more space out of no space

Old house

q get more space out of no space

Old house

q get more space out of no space

Old

q get more space out of no space
q get more space out of no space

New

q get more space out of no space

New

q get more space out of no space

New

• Janet
    Yesterday

I would perhaps add some cabinets or shelves and then donate some of those toys. 😊

• Built ins are such a storage and space saver! What about something like this: https://www.frugalfamilytimes.com/2018/04/how-to-diy-ikea-built-in-bookcase.html

• We had to downsize too I am a crafter and quilter so I am still learning What I did with help from a friend of mine she loves tools We raised the couch up and covered boxes to slide under couch and it is a little higher easier to get up and down from now. we did same with bed found all the storage under them. made storage under them.raised them too as high as we could. we took paneling off wall made storage for bottles and small boxes inside the wall made a door from the paneling put it back up. Now we have storage that takes no room at all I can store thread in there too. I bought or made stools ottomans with storage. We had tow baths with tubs and showers We closed off one except for the commode and hung clothes on the tub rod and store in the tub and what ever we could fix in there put up a curtain around the commode to the door so it is private. works for us.

• Jan Clark
    20 hours ago

Wow, lots of adjustments to make! For storage, think: UP. The area above our heads is usually unused. If it is possible to add more cabinets (like at the far end of the kitchen) anywhere else, you'll get storage without sacrificing floor space. Just make sure they aren't within reach of those fans. If you have available wall space, think hooks, too. Hooks, pegs and whatever offer multi-level places to park coats, hats, scarves and what have you. As seen here on hometalk, you can also stack crates, bins or boxes for a narrow upright type of shelf unit. Make sure they are attached to something so they don't topple. Best of luck - and keep smiling! Smiles make the best of every situation.

• Debi53
    30 minutes ago

We had a missionary friend who told us that the children of the tribes she worked with had only one toy each and they were the happiest children she had ever been around. Simple toys that let children use their imagination are toys that keep children's interest. I think you will find that your grandchild won't even notice the toys you get rid of. I find that my grandchildren tend to be overwhelmed by too many toys and play with the same few over and over. Don't have guilt about getting rid of too many toys. Children want us and our attention much more than they want stuff.