Stacy Davis
Stacy Davis
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Kitty Area Budget Friendly Spruce Up

$15

My cat Shiloh’s litter box area has been driving me crazy. It isn’t seen by many but with a surge of spring cleaning energy, I decided that there was no time like the present.

2
2

I started by purchasing some really long boot trays from Target. And some dust catcher rugs from Dollar Tree.

3
3

This boot tray is really long and very affordable. Do you use boot trays for things other than boots and shoes?

4
4

Boot trays are really handy. Now is a good time to buy them because they are clearing them out with winter items. But, I use boot trays all year round. I use them under the roosts in my chicken coop and I use them under my dogs’ water dish. It keeps the water from sloshing on the floor when they are slurping it up.

5
5

I also bought some Command hooks and strips and I already had a placemat. I wanted to hang the kitty litter scoop on the wall but I didn’t want it to touch my wall so I thought a placemat would work well to protect the wall and be easy to clean with a chlorox wipe.

6
6

I put the Command strips on the back of the placemat. Then I pressed it firmly to the wall by the litter box. If you think your wall might be dusty clean it off with rubbing alcohol first and let dry.

kitty area budget friendly spruce up

Not sure he appreciates the mini makeover, but I sure like it. It has been a few weeks now and the boot trays and rugs have made such a difference.

kitty area budget friendly spruce up

Before- Here is Shiloh the cat’s litter area. The dust in front of the litter box sticks to the vinyl flooring even after sweeping.

kitty area budget friendly spruce up

After- Because the boot tray was so long, it works perfectly to hold the litter box and gives plenty of room for an extra dust/litter catching rug.

• Paula

Good idea for litter box, but why would you feed your cat next to his litter box?I'm pretty sure he would be happier and healthier not eating next to his bathroom

• Barbarann

for the love of everything that's holy! Food dishes can be moved and so what if they were in the picture lol the placemat was decorative for the wall which is genius! I found mine in a thrift store. These mats, the one that I have anyway was measured for the vehicle. So finding it outside the thrift store would have been a lot of money. But yes now is the time to find them

• Ann Jorfi

where did you find those boot trays all the ones of seen are oddly shaped instead of rectangular like the ones you have pictured here.

• Dfm

beware of the grey mats, the corners tend to curl, and yes, 2 boxes of litter per cat. It allows one box to dry out, and the cat will use the other.

• Roberta Taylor

I will love to make a “litter bathroom” for my girls (3) with their 2 extra large pans in a far away corner so they can be alone. Love the placemat and hanging scoop.