Asked on Apr 15, 2019

How can I clean shutters and blinds?

BetsyJoy30150932Mogie
+1

Hi, I have a problem every spring, how can I clean shutters and blinds? I have a big house and lots of windows. I tried so many products and many ways to clean shutters but nothing satisfies me. So, I would ask you if anyone knows how to polish shutters in the best way.

• Linda Sikut

Hi Krystyna,

You can take the blinds down and soak them in a mix of warm water, vinegar & some Dawn in the bathtub. For shutters, use a similar mix with equal parts of vinegar & water with a few drops of Dawn. Dip a rag into the mix then squeeze out most of the liquid. Hold the rag with tongs and slide it along the shutters to clean the top and bottom at the same time. Of course, this is a "generic" solution. If you have specialty blinds or shutters, look for the manufacturer's recommendations. Wishing you the best.

• Mogie

What size of blinds are you referring to? I take my small blinds inside down and soak them in the tub. The large blinds outside I drape over the clothesline get them wet, using a broom scrub with Dawn and hose off.

• Joy30150932

I just use warm water, baking soda, dish liquid and a bit of vinegar and wipe down on both sides of the blinds.

Hi Krystyna: I use warm water and maybe some Dawn in a bucket and have a bucket of clean warm water, too. I put an old, thick,sock on my hand, put it in the soapy water and do the top and bottom slat at the same time. Once they are all done, I get another old, thick sock and wipe them again with the clean water. It only takes a flash, and you can look outside at the same time and watch the birds:) Good luck