Teresa Miles
Teresa Miles
  • Westerville, OH
Asked on Apr 15, 2019

What is the best way to redo this table for a sun room?

Jessica VanderVeenRobyn GarnerKathy Gunter Law
+3

Would like to redo this table for our new sunroom possibly covering the whole top. still want it functional as a coffee table not an ottoman. Will pair it with swivel or cloth rocking chairs .

q what is the best way to redo this table for a sunroom
  • Mogie

Just curious what color are the chairs? You could change the look by painting the wood frame. Depending on the style of the other furniture you could even whitewash or pickle the frame. Can I see the rug because those are glass inserts? Do you want to keep the glass or go with something different? If keeping the glass you could etch or even frost it.

• Jill Ron Pike

You could paint it, I like the pickling idea by Mogie also. The glass inserts can be replaced with tiles, or other material cut to fit the insert size. If you're keeping the glass, there are many projects for faux stained glass, glazing, and other options.

• Mlle LaFleur

My idea leaves the current table completely intact while transforming it entirely. You mentioned covering it and leaving it as a coffee table -- you could consider adding a table top using a piece of plywood 1/2 inch thick, more or less, and a few inches larger on all four sides. The legs are substantial and would support a larger table top. I hope you can sew! make a tailored table cloth [think pleats not ruffles] out of sunbrella or other outdoor resistant fabric - if you make it nearly floor length then you'll have some instant storage space underneath.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Tile in the place of the glass. Paint or stain to match your other items.

• Robyn Garner

I'd definitely get rid of the dark color and the glass. Start by thoroughly cleaning it and either stripping, sanding, and/or deglossing so it's ready for your choice of paint or stain.

You can cut squares of wood to inset where the glass comes out. Decide: do you want the wood level with what's there or do you want another treatment on top? I'd opt to cut slats of wood to glue on top of the squares you cut. For this measure the height of your chosen slats and then figure out what fits underneath to make the entire top a level surface. You may need to cut support pieces around each square and attach to the underside to hold the slats if the measurements don't add up.

If you decide to finish the slats the same as the rest of the table, insert all of them now. Next: paint or stain? Look at the space where it's going - the colors, the flooring, the existing furniture - and make a decision for style and color. You can do a chippy look, worn beach wood, or full coverage chalk paint will all work imho. 😘👍

It will be fabulous!! 😎

• Jessica VanderVeen

I just finished a coffee table where I used epoxy resin for the top. I did white epoxy and made it look like a faux marble