Asked on Apr 15, 2019

How do I clean a gas oven?

BetsyAnnKelli L. Milligan

• Kelli L. Milligan

I clean mine with Easy Off oven cleaner.

• Ann

A simple recipe from DIY is quite amazing. Simply put the peel of an orange into

a pint container. Pour enough vinegar into the container to cover the rind. Let sit for a week in the fridge so that the oils from the orange seep into the vinegar. When ready pour only the vinegar into a spray bottle (discard the orange peel). When ready to clean, generously shake baking soda on the surface to be cleaned. Spray the vinegar on the baking soda and let sit for a few minutes. Use a slightly abrasive pad to scrub the area. Then wipe clean. I was astounded at how well this worked. It not only cleaned my oven, but the glass door and grates as well.

Hi Karie: What I use is a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (the dry stuff). Make a paste and put it on the gunk. Let it sit for about 15 or 20 seconds and then scrape off with a plastic putty knife or one of those plastic scrubbies. You may have to do it a couple of times if the gunk is thick, but usually not. A lot of people don't know, but on most stoves, the door comes off and the bottom of the oven also comes off. You don't have to take the door off to get the oven floor out. Sometimes it's hard to get the door back on:) There is no smell and it is environmentally safe. Good luck. Good luck.