Beverly Torgerson
Beverly Torgerson
  • Whittier, CA
Asked on Apr 15, 2019

Where do I start with packing?

Beverly TorgersonDarlene DeVoreShore grandmom
+1

Over the year I have collected so many thing. Now we are thinking of moving. I am so overwhelmed with all the things I need to do, I feel lost in where to start first. I have bought boxes and packing material to start packing the things I love the most. But where should I put those boxes that I want to keep so they won't be in my way?

• Nan W.

Beverly: First you MUST go thru your stuff and do a cleanse! --- It'll feel great to get rid of stuff you don't use or need... and someone else, if donated, may love it!

Follow this guide:

https://www.moving.com/tips/your-guide-to-the-pre-move-purge/

• Shore grandmom

Take one thing at a time. Start in one room and go through everything in that room. Then move to the next one. Get rid of things you don't really want or use anymore. Put the boxes that you want to keep in that room that you've emptied. Stack them up in a corner, but keep in mind that when you're going to put your home on the market, you should put those boxes in storage.

• Darlene DeVore

Beverly, the last time I moved was not easy by any stretch of the imagination. I packed special things first. I prefer plastic tubs, but boxes work too. Move furniture in each room away from one wall. Pack each tub or box, label contents and which room it goes in. Then stack against the wall. Do this in 1 room at a time. Remove pictures etc from the walls, pack in 1 tub or box. Leave dresser contents in the drawers. Closets, I try to keep hanging items on hangers but if you want to pack them, leave enough room for the hangers and pack them in the top. When everything is packed and going into truck, remove draers, Mark the back

of the drawers 1,2,3,4 etc from top to bottem. Take empty dresser, chest or what ever you may have to the truck then from bottem to top, replace the drawers. Make sure to wrap mirrors. I wrap with paper first than with a blanket. The main thing is to label contents and room tubs/boxes they need to go in. I hope this has helped you. Blessings in your new home.

Darlene ...PS I do my kitchen last and always leave a partial roll of bathroom tissue for the next tennant. 😉

• Beverly Torgerson

Thanks to all for the sound advise. Now I will dedicate 5 hours each day to my clearing, organizing, packing and labeling each box. The place I deside to donate to will have an AWSOME time with all the treasures I donated. Thanks again.