Create a Fresh Floral Table Runner for Easter or Spring

$25

Use fresh flowers to create a blooming table runner for your spring or Easter celebration! Tutorial includes flower arrangement longevity tips and additional floral inspiration.

create a fresh floral table runner for easter or spring

Easter’s on its way, and I’m hopping down the bunny trail with steps to create a fresh flower arrangement as a runner for your Easter or spring table!

To create this fresh flower table runner, I started with some chicken wire. You can find chicken wire in small rolls at the craft store and larger rolls at the garden center. I found my chicken wire in a 18 by 39-inch roll on Amazon for around $8. (Your chicken wire doesn’t have to be white, galvanized is fine.)

I stopped in Dollar Tree to see what I could use as a base for my table runner and found plastic storage containers, sold in packs of two. { Yippee, 2 for $1 and reusable for food storage! } The dimension of my containers is 5 1/2 inches wide by 8 inches long and 2 inches deep.

Cut your chicken wire about 4 inches wider and longer than your container, so you have a couple of inches of wire on each side to bend and place inside your container. If you find your chicken wire doesn’t want to stay in place, use waterproof floral tape, running a couple of strips across the width of your container to secure it. If you use waterproof floral tape, make sure you add your floral tape before you add your water as it will not adhere to wet surfaces.

After the chicken wire is in place, arrange the containers down the center of your table. I used 6 containers for my table, but the beauty of using these containers is you can make your runner as long or short as you like. Now they’re ready to be filled with a floral preservative / water solution for your flowers.

Our Snowball Viburnum is covered in fluffy white snowballs. . .the only snowballs you want to see in April!

I cut some snowballs to add the floral runner. Viburnum stems are woody so I used my vegetable peeler to remove the outer layer of the wood of the branch to help the stems ‘drink’ and stay hydrated and fresh. Remove 3 - 4 inches of outer bark from each stem on all sides.

Start with your larger flowers, adding them to your containers, making sure the stems stay submerged in your water solution. This will be easier as you add more flowers and you have stems that criss-cross in your containers.

In addition to snowball viburnum, I used some pink and blue hydrangeas, white alstroemeria and pink Charmelia, that I had leftover from a previous arrangement. Both alstroemeria and Charmelia are long-lasting flowers that will look fresh up to two weeks.

I tucked in some faux eggs for a little Easter decoration and as filler to add along the length of the runner.

Here are few tips to help extend the life of your flowers in your arrangement:

Cut your flower stems at a 45 degree angle for maximum water uptake and remove any leaves below the water line.

Always add the floral preservative packets to your vase water that come with your flowers. If you don’t have any floral preservative, you can make your own with this easy formula.

Check your water level to top it off if necessary. Some flowers like hydrangeas are heavy drinkers.

If you’re using cut hydrangeas, use the alum-dipping method to keep them from wilting.

Keep your flower arrangement away from heat (like vents blowing) or direct sunlight.

Change your vase water every other day if possible.

This is a fun way to add flowers to the length of your table that you can do anytime of year! Use wet floral foam if you prefer, trimming your blocks of foam to fit your containers. I’m a fan of chicken wire, as it can be reused.

Click the link below to visit my post for more photos, table details and sources. Happy Easter!

Mary @ Home is Where the Boat Is

• Debra L

Do you put the wire on outside and outer bottom of bowl or across the top and down the outsides? How did you get the bowls connected? Does wire across the top help flowers stand better?

• Cut your chicken wire about 4 inches wider and longer than your container, so you have a couple of inches of wire on each side to bend and place inside your container. If you find your chicken wire doesn’t want to stay in place, use waterproof floral tape, running a couple of strips across the width of your container to secure it.

The chicken wire supports the flower stems.

Arrange the containers down the center of your table, one next to another. They don't need to be connected.

• Sandra McCracken Hall

Beautiful tablecloth. Where did you find it?