EVE
EVE
  • Scranton, PA
Asked on Apr 16, 2019

How do I get rid of wrought iron rust?

BetsyEVEDee
+4

My front porch gas wrought iron railing that have rusted. I have sanded, used fillet n painted,the railings with rust preventive paint...still the problem persists

• Kelli L. Milligan

Try really working at removing rust, then use Rustoleum Rust Converter first. Then paint with Rustoleum exterior spray paint.

• Dee

Rustoleum rust remover is a great product. Use it and sand off all the rust before painting with Rustoleum spray paint.

• EVE

Kellie thank you

Unfortunately Its exactly what I used...it still rust....thinking I gave to replace it

Thanks for the feedback

Hi Eve: I'm thinking the rust is coming from the bottom of the railing. Can you take it off and clean the rust from the bottom of the rail? You can use a product called Naval Jelly to remove rust, but be careful with it. When you get the rust off, seal it with a sealant made for rust or metal, repaint and replace. Good luck

• EVE

Betsey thank you so much will try that...gather u know what I will be doing this weekend

If you have a Dollar Tree in your area, they have a product called Totally Awesome Rust, Lime and Calcium Remover. That may work, and it's way cheaper! Check with the home improvement store to see what you can seal the railing bottom with to keep it from rusting. Good luck, rest up and go get 'em! :)