Slfyda
Slfyda
  • Danville, IN
Asked on Apr 16, 2019

How do I remove a water stain off a side table?

SlfydaJewellmartinMartha Haire
+11

I had a plant on this. Thank you for your time.

q how do i remove a water stain off a side table i had a plant on this

Hi Slfyda: This works for steam marks on wood, I'm not sure if it would work on this, but what do you have to lose? :) Try rubbing a bit of mayonnaise on the area, let it sit for about 15 or 20 seconds and then wipe off. If it works a little bit, do it again and let the mayo sit a bit longer. Good luck

• To remove white rings left by wet glasses on wood furniture, mix equal parts vinegar and olive oil and apply it with a soft cloth while moving with the wood grain. Use another clean, soft cloth to shine it up. To get white water rings off leather furniture, dab them with a sponge soaked in full-strength white vinegar.

• Wylie

this worked for me..rubbing alcohol and dry with hair dryer

• Donna D'Agostino

Make a paste of olive oil and salt let sit for at least 20 minutes or longer wipe off and buff works great

• Randal

Not sure about the rest of the options working, but if they don't a sure fire way of fixing it, would be to sand it down and refinish the top. That appears to be solid wood, if not then you may run into problems. , if it is veneer, and even then it depends on how deep the sanding must go. Good luck

• Patricia

Put a thin cloth on top of the stain and iron over it on high heat WITHOUT steam, dry iron only. Works for me every time.

• Catherine Coffey

Mom always used Peanut Butter, thus I do the same. Just spread it rather thickly on the area and let it sit. The oil in PB is what does the trick. May take over night depending on how "thick" the spot is. Easy as we all have PB on the shelf!

• MEG

rub mayonnaise into stain with a soft cotton rag. also put plant on a saucer to prevent water damage in the future

• Lisa Hall Smith

I actually just did this on my wood floor. Same reason...had to move a plant in for winter. WD40 works great. just spray a little bit on and rub it into the stain. I let mine set until it was dry and then I went back over it with my regular wood floor cleaner.

• Martha Haire

I once salvaged a nice, mid-century modern table made of solid wood. Unfortunately it had been used outside with floer pots sitting on it. (saucers under the pots will not prevent these marks, the saucer needs to have air flow between it and the table surface ie a little rack, feet made for the purpose etc) After lots of sanding, treating, etc, I gave up and painted the offensive parts. A chess/checker board in the center and some strategically placed flowers and leaves around the edge concealed the damage while leaving a large part of the wood grain exposed.

• Jewellmartin

I’ve tried all sorts of methods, Slfyda, with mixed results. The last time I used coconut oil, dipped from the bottom of the jar. It was about the consistency of mayonnaise. I just spread it on the stain and left it. After two days, the wood felt normal enough for me to sand and apply a coat of poly. It doesn’t look new, but it looks a lot better. And I have lots of tablecloths and placemats. Best wishes!

• Slfyda

Thank you all for your responses. I will try them out and see what works and will let you know. Thanks for your time and advice.