Asked on Apr 17, 2019

What can I replace the wood with that wood not be too costly?

Nancy HortonSharonMike
+14

we have pathways in the back yard made of wood; what we be the best thing to use to replace the wood as far as endurance and price? I love the walkways but the wood has to be replaced more often and can draw other problems like termites.

q what can replace the wood with that wood not be too costly
  • Karen Brunck

Hi Nancy. Love, love, love your walkways! After replacing the "treated" wood 3 times, we finally broke down and bought Treks boards for our deck and walkway. It's too expensive to keep replacing! You could do a section at a time when budget allows.

• Jeanette S

Nancy,

You have a lot of walkways so anything you do that will last is going to be costly. I would probably plan on replacing these a little at a time with pavers. They come in a variety of sizes and colors.

To be safe that the store will not discontinue these before you finish, you could do the plain concrete ones.

If you are energetic, you can get molds and pour concrete that looks like stones!

• Jeanette S

The reason I suggested concrete is that since the wood producers had to stop using arsenic in wood curing, the wood on the ground does not last long.

We put in "treated" landscape timbers around my mailbox about 10 years ago and it needs replacing again. We will do that this fall.

If you put all of this down in wood, count on about 10 years.

You could put down landscape timbers to delineate the pathways, then add pavers and fill in with white rocks. Be sure and drill holes in the timbers and secure them with rebar driven into the ground to hold them in place.

But if you do this, you have to be careful and Keep the rocks out of the mowing area so they won't fly up and hurt someone.

Or you could use mulch...to eliminate the danger of rocks...and then set some pretty pots at strategic places like where the walkway turns.

Resin pots are afordable and I use them because they are not so heavy and are easier to move.

• Bonnie

If you want to keep the wood-look, here's some alternatives:

https://www.homestratosphere.com/wood-decking-alternatives/

• Dfm

cement walkway, red brick walkway or stamped concrete.

Patio blocks are larger, come in different sizes, and would be cheaper that pavers. No wood will last with direct ground contact.

• Pea gravel walkways would be beautiful as well.

• Jessica VanderVeen

You could do patio stones, or mulch would look nice too

• Dee

I would use pavers or make my own. Lowes and HD sell a mold that you use Quickcrete with to make your own pavers. A little tedious but it would be a custom look and not too expensive.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

Wow... what a beautiful yard you have! I love it! Cost wise, gravel and mulch would be the cheapest.

This site has a lot of ideas you might want to check out:

www.worthminer.com/walkway-garden-ideas/

• Laura Cooper

I would recommend decomposed granite. It is very fine and locks down tight into a hard smooth surface that is easy to maintain and walk on.

• Mike

I like the way they look. Add some colorful decor...bird houses, bird bath, cushions, lawn ornaments. You could also prime and paint the wood..be creative

• Sharon

I would vote for a colorful pea gravel with bender board edging to keep it in place. or use pea gravel and epoxy for a more solid surface.

• Nancy Horton

Thank you everyone; we are going with DIY paver/concrete ; I’ll repost when we get it finished. Thanks again