Asked on Apr 17, 2019

How do I remove wallpaper?

Nancy ShataraRobyn GarnerNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+3

I have the ugliest wallpaper in our small bathroom and I want to remove it. I've heard of a way to mix fabric softener with water spray on wallpaper and peel it off. Does anyone have a video of the act of actually doing this? Also what is the ratio of softener to water? Thank you so much for the help.

• I've never tried it, Melody, but here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=kVNeG9keb28

• Tinyshoes

Melody...DIF or Zinsser are good products. Purchase a paper tiger, spray gel or liquid to use after making holes with paper tiger, then scrape off. Good luck.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Peel as much as possible from the walls.

If you can't get to the backing, you may need to score the paper with a tool. Paper Tiger is easy to find. Light pressure because you don't want to damage the wall behind the paper.

Mix 50/50 fabric softener & warm water in a spray bottle or garden sprayer. I've read that vinegar is as effective but I have never used it.

Allow the mixture to sit for 5 - 10 minutes so that it saturates the adhesive on the paper backing.

Scrape with a plastic scraper.

Once it is all removed, wash the walls with warm soapy water (blue Dawn is my go-to) and a microfiber cloth.

This method has worked best for me. I tried a steamer but it was hot and not nearly as effective. Most of the wallpaper I removed was glued on as well as being pre-pasted so it was stuck very good.

• Steaming is my preferred method.

https://www.lowes.com/projects/paint-stain-and-wallpaper/remove-old-wallpaper/project

You Tube is chock full of tutorials. Do you know how to search on You Tube?

• Robyn Garner

My go-to is DIF concentrate. Peel what comes off easily and score the rest with a wallpaper scoring tool. Score it LOTS!!!

Mix the DIF in a pump garden sprayer with HOT water. Mix only what you'll use now as the hot water makes a big difference. Spray and leave on per instructions. Test if the glue is dissolved by attempting to scrape one area. If it does not come off easily leave a bit longer (you may need a bit more spray).

Be sure the floors are covered as this makes a mess. Have a lined garbage can in the room to dispose of the paper. Wash the walls down again with the DIF and then cold water until clean.

• Nancy Shatara

couple of questions first...is your wall smooth? How long has the wallpaper been there? I have used both fabric softener, vinegar and wall steamer on 2 different types of walls, both rough and smooth and sized, pre-pasted and pasted. To get it done without a hassle, rent a steamer and boom it is done. Yes you will have to put cloths along the floor to catch the drips also do it on a cool day and have windows open a little to keep yourself cool. Good luck.