DIY Stencil Tray – Before & After

$10

Repurposing items from thrift stores is a great way to treasure discarded pieces and turn them into trendy and useful pieces! Adding a little paint and a DIY stencil, you can transform a thrift store wooden tray into a beautiful farmhouse inspired focal piece!

I scored this wood and tile tray from my local Habitat for Humanity store for $4. As adorable as the tile design was, I knew immediately I was going to paint it with a stencil…and that’s exactly what I did!

Here is the before…Truth be told, I felt a little guilty tearing up these cute tiles, lol.

Lets Make It Together!

I began by chiseling up the tiles with a hammer, paint scraper and flat tip screwdriver.

I also purchased 4 square ceramic tiles at my Habitat Restore for $2 and I painted them using  Rust-Oleum primer paint. I actually loved the white color of the primer, so I left that as the base color!

While that dried, I got busy creating my stencil on my  Silhouette Cameo. I cut the design on  sticky shelf liner, my favorite way to make stencils and then weeded it with a  sewing seam ripper. Silhouette actually carries a whole line of  products for vinyl transfer tools but I personally love my seam ripper and other tricks I’ve learned along the way! *You can find more of my  Silhouette Cameo tutorials here.

I then transferred it using  clear sticky shelf liner, also another favorite, and used an old gift card to make sure it was adhered properly.

Once the stencil was adhered, I removed the clear transfer and got busy painting using my favorite chalk paint,  Dixie Belle in Bunker Hill Blue.

Once I was done painting, I let it dry for about 15 minutes and then I removed the sticky stencil and wa-la!

I absolutely love how it turned out!!! It’s so pretty!

Gathered In The Kitchen

• Betsi

Why didn't you just prime and paint the existing tile?

• Gathered In The Kitchen

I certainly could have and it would have been easier - but I didn’t. No specific reason :-) ... I guess I just like extra work!

• Paulette Hodge

Why didn’t you just paint the tiles that were already in the tray,... Instead of digging them out and getting new ones which you painted anyway?

• Ruth McAlpin

Every cute. I didn’t realize you could paint the tiles .. duh ... I have used broken piece of tiles to mosaic birdhouses. I would share but I sold them all through a disability art class .

• Maureen

Very cute idea. The tray looks awesome.