DIY Stencil Tray – Before & After

$10

Repurposing items from thrift stores is a great way to treasure discarded pieces and turn them into trendy and useful pieces! Adding a little paint and a DIY stencil, you can transform a thrift store wooden tray into a beautiful farmhouse inspired focal piece!

I scored this wood and tile tray from my local Habitat for Humanity store for $4. As adorable as the tile design was, I knew immediately I was going to paint it with a stencil…and that’s exactly what I did!

Here is the before…Truth be told, I felt a little guilty tearing up these cute tiles, lol.

Lets Make It Together!

I began by chiseling up the tiles with a hammer, paint scraper and flat tip screwdriver.

I also purchased 4 square ceramic tiles at my Habitat Restore for $2 and I painted them using  Rust-Oleum primer paint. I actually loved the white color of the primer, so I left that as the base color!

While that dried, I got busy creating my stencil on my  Silhouette Cameo. I cut the design on  sticky shelf liner, my favorite way to make stencils and then weeded it with a  sewing seam ripper. Silhouette actually carries a whole line of  products for vinyl transfer tools but I personally love my seam ripper and other tricks I’ve learned along the way! *You can find more of my  Silhouette Cameo tutorials here.

I then transferred it using  clear sticky shelf liner, also another favorite, and used an old gift card to make sure it was adhered properly.

Once the stencil was adhered, I removed the clear transfer and got busy painting using my favorite chalk paint,  Dixie Belle in Bunker Hill Blue.

Once I was done painting, I let it dry for about 15 minutes and then I removed the sticky stencil and wa-la!

I absolutely love how it turned out!!! It’s so pretty!

Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Gathered In The Kitchen

• Betsi

Why didn't you just prime and paint the existing tile?

• Paulette Hodge

Why didn’t you just paint the tiles that were already in the tray,... Instead of digging them out and getting new ones which you painted anyway?

• Ruth McAlpin

Every cute. I didn’t realize you could paint the tiles .. duh ... I have used broken piece of tiles to mosaic birdhouses. I would share but I sold them all through a disability art class .

• Maureen

Very cute idea. The tray looks awesome.