Melanie
Melanie
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Canada

Wall Deco Dollar Store Flip

$5
1 Day

I wanted something for my walls but the price of wall medallions are way more than I want to spend. I spotted a medallion that I liked at my dollar store but when I brought it home it just looked small on my walls. I headed to my basement where I had some left over wood from a previous project and an idea popped into my head. I would make a frame around the medallion.

wall deco dollar store flip

So this is what I had to work with.

wall deco dollar store flip

I decided to make a frame out of this piece of wood.

wall deco dollar store flip

I laid the medallion on my work table along with my wood and measured from the outside of the medallion on one end to the outside of the wood on the other end using a scrap piece of wood the same width as I was using. Or just add the width of the wood plus the width of the medallion.

wall deco dollar store flip

Once I had my measurements using my mitre box and saw I cut my wood to the desired lengths. My two sides were 15 and 1/2 inches and top and bottom pieces were 20 inches. I decided to cut the ends of my two top pieces on a 45 degree angle.

wall deco dollar store flip

Here are my four pieces cut.

wall deco dollar store flip

I laid the pieces out in the shape I wanted them, then using a hot glue gun ( I used gorilla glue sticks) secured all ends together.

wall deco dollar store flip

Next step was to take my stain and a cloth and stain the frame. The stain was also left over from another project.

wall deco dollar store flip

Once stain is dry it is now time to secure the medallion in place. Again I used my glue gun. At this point you can stop and your medallion is finished. I wanted to add a bit more detail so see the next step.

wall deco dollar store flip

I had these self adhesive pearls I had bought at the dollar store and never bothered to use but they were calling to me so I incorporated them into this project by adding them to the seams where the wood joined , on the medallion itself and on the sides.

wall deco dollar store flip

So here it is with the pearls on it. Even though they are self adhesive I recommend gluing them on. The medallion itself already had a hook on the back for it to hang so I did not have to attach one.

wall deco dollar store flip

So project complete!! I love how this turned out. It was easy to make and only cost me $5.25. Gotta love a bargain!

• Carolinagirl

How would you take off the self-adhesive pearls? Since you have inspired me I am thinking of other ways to use them. And, do stores have self-adhesive silver/gold dots?

• Melanie

My Dollar store Carrie's an assortment of these does in different finishes. To remove them you can use a small paint scraper or knife to lift them