Asked on Apr 17, 2019

Can anyone tell me what this is hanging from my tree?

Patricia HubbardJaxynPam Davis
+15

Do any of you know what this is hanging from my tree

q can anyone tell me what this is hanging from my tree
  • Elaine

I may be wrong but it looks like a nest of bugs. It’s hard to tell.

• Jeanette

If it is a fruit tree, they need to be removed.

• Dana

It's a little blury....but from my experience with collecting branches for one of a kind projects....it looks like some awesome Lichen. I would break that off and save it for something...like flower or plant arrangement.

• Shel'njohanne

Looks like the end of a blossom going to seed, we call them catkins .

• Diane

It’s the seeds from the tree, I have them but not sure what tree called.

• Melody Keeter

I suggest taking it to a Plant farm-or some other place- that could really tell you what it is-if it is bugs- you surely do not want to bring it into your house.

• Jan Clark

If these are no bigger than your pinkie finger, and there are only a few caught in the twigs, they're probably windblown from other trees. Check your neighborhood for any kind of willow, pecans and sycamores. They're producing this stuff like crazy right now. If you can't reach them, don't worry. They'll decompose, fall off, or just blow away.

• MaShan

Its called webworms. Get them down if you can and burn them, or place in trashcan with cover.

• Bklyn Cowgirl

Bring a sample to a local nursery (not a big box store!) or your local extension service.

• SM

They are catkins. New leaves developing. do not remove them! Quakies and a few other trees and bushes have them. They are a little messy, but a good thing. They are not web worms.

• Cush

Hello All,

this is hanging from an Aspen tree. There are male trees and female trees, this is indicative of a male tree. These are perfectly normal for a healthy aspen. These are used for pollination of other trees around. You may even see bees around them during this season. They will eventually fall off when the buds turn to leaves. I have about 60 aspen in my yard. These are a yearly event. Happy growing.

• Cristine Meixner

They are catkins, part of the tree's reproductive cycle.

• Lynn Sorrell

Yeah Cristine,Cush,Sm correct info..

• Zac27660695

Worms

• Pam Davis

Gee out of all these different opinions did we find out which one is correct? I’m curious 🙂

• Jaxyn

Those are catkins. Not worms or anything bad. They are most likely fallen from a different tree and got caught up in the branches. I have them every year. Just pick them off if they bother you.

• Patricia Hubbard

THESE ARE CATABA WORM NEST IF YOU CAN REACH THEM BURN THEM...IF THEY FALL ON YOU OR TOUCH YOU THEY STING YOU AND IT HURTS FOUND THAT OUT CAUSE THEY WERE OVER OUR POOL AND WOULD FALL IN THE WATER AND STING US AS WE SWAM.