Heather Cammack
Heather Cammack
  • Colfax, WA

How to Shade Your Patio With Shade Sails

$150

Warm Spring and Summer weather is just around the corner, or maybe it has already arrived depending on where you live. Last year my family was so excited to have a big patio to use and extend our outdoor living space during the warm months. The only problem was that our patio gets all day sun. A real downer, especially for my four red head family members.

With a pricey pergola out of the budget, we opted to put up shade sails, and we are so glad we did.

Be sure to check out my blog for more details, and to see how I made our patio sectional.

how to shade your patio with shade sails

Before, our patio was pretty much unusable all afternoon until the cooler evening hours.

For this project, you will need something sturdy to tie your shade sails on to. We opted to use 4x4 pressure treated posts.

Our sails are tied from our house to our posts.

You may need to bring in some professional help to make sure your post holes are deep enough. They should be about 1/3 the overall height.

We used screw in eye hooks on our house and posts to tie our sails to. You will want your hooks to be further apart than the L x W of your sails so you can keep them stretched out tight.

Fish your shade sail ropes through the eye hooks. Similar shade sales to the ones I used can be found here. They come with everything you need to hang them, which is really handy.

Also, send sunglasses...

Pull the ropes tight and tie some simple knots to hold the sails in place. They should be stretched very tight.

It is helpful to have someone stretching the sail at the same time on the opposite side. I had to make a few adjustments to get them perfectly even and tight.

Since I was using two shade sails, I tied two ropes into the center eye hooks, and this worked well.

We made sure to screw our eye hooks into our fascia board where there was a truss behind it. You don't want to lose your entire fascia board on a breezy night.

Once your knots are tied, trim any excess rope, and enjoy the shade.

Shade sails are super versatile, and can be hung at an angle against the path of the sun for longer lasting shade.

We were happy to keep our morning and evening sun, so we kept ours level.

Heather Cammack

• Melissa Wilson Zaffrann

Your shades look square, but the link to buy them on Amazon is only for triangular ones. Did you get yours somewhere else?

• Shelli

I have found many different sizes and shapes at Amazon.

• Joseph Girard

Shouldn't these be tilted a bit so rain will run off instead of collecting? I know rain will seep through but a heavy rain isn't going to disperse quickly enough

• Debbie Brinkman Ryan
      30 minutes ago

The shade sail that i have is breathable which some water still comes through them. they are more for shade of the sun not waterproof. They don't hold as much water as a tarp would. They work well.

• Sylvia Markle

I dont have a question. Just want to say i have a porch up front and deck in the back. We too live in the country full sun. Im going to try this for our deck. Thanks.

• Susan Lundquist

Hint - We added small trampoline springs at each corner. This helps keep ours taut and allows for the gale force winds we frequently get to buffet but not destroy the sails.

• Bonnie Tyner

Walmart sells kits with springs and turnbuckles to help adjust the sail cover to just the right tightness. Worked great! These sail cloths are not waterproof. Water will go thru which helps in not collecting water but def adds a nice filtered shade! We did this above our arbor and it worked great!