Window Deep Cleaning With Natural Products

$10

Cleaning Vinyl Windows

This deep cleaning method is fast and super effective! Your windows will look nearly new in under 10 minutes. Plus, I'm showing you how to make a chemical-free cleaner that repels bugs and makes your glass shine!

window deep cleaning with natural products

Our house is 25 years old and from the looks of it, these windows have never been cleaned. Here's how I got them sparking again.

Step One: Use a cleaning brush or old toothbrush to knock all the built-on dirt loose. Make sure you access the inside and outside of your windows, to get the best results.

For my vinyl, I was able to just tilt them inside to access the exterior. You may need to remove your storm windows first and go outside to do this. It’s a tad more time-consuming, but the results will be worth it.

Step Two: Vaccuum every inch of your windows, including the glass and the screens, to remove loose dirt. Use your upholstery attachment for the screens and you’ll have better results.

Step Three: Spray a bug-repelling cleaner onto your windows, making sure you cover every surface (including the glass, panes, and interiors).

1/2 cup white vinegar

10 drops mint essential oils

10 drops lemon essential oils

glass spray bottle

water

To mix, add essential oils to a glass container, using a funnel. Then add the vinegar. It’s very important that you mix the vinegar and oils first, as water and oil won’t mix. Vinegar acts as an antibacterial agent, a glass cleaner, and a solvent for the oils. Once they’ve been thoroughly mixed (I simply shake the bottle), then fill the remainder of the container with hot water and shake again.

Bugs - especially spiders - hate the smell of mint and will stay away. This is awesome because it means you won’t have to clean out spider webs as frequently. Use this solution every time you clean - and you can use it anywhere, even on most countertops (don’t ever use vinegar on marble).

Step Four: Scrub each crevice, while wet with cleaning solution, using an old toothbrush or cleaning brush. Since my windows are vinyl and have begun to discolor, I also added a bit of toothpaste to brighten the plastic.

Step Five: Wipe down all surfaces with a warm, damp cloth. Then buff the glass by rubbing the windows dry, in a circular motion, until no streaks are visible.

I made sure to even scrub down the window hardware because it was gross before!

Teri | T. Moore Home

• Amy

The headline says toothpaste, but I see nothing about toothpaste in the article. Am I missing something?

• Shyann

Since my windows are vinyl and have begun to discolor, I also added a bit of toothpaste to brighten the plastic.

• Lea

I am wondering if the Vinegar is harmful to pets. My lay in the widow at the back of the couch?

• Mileidy

Do you have anything to make marble bright again.?

• Teri | T. Moore Home

We had marble in our last home and the only thing the installer recommended was having it rebuffed every few years.

• TJ

Great cleaning solution for windows, but don't use on granite countertops because the acid from the vinegar will take off the finish and make the granite porous. I would use on stainless steel appliances.

• Laura

great ideas!

Anyone know how to get the layer of film off that is between 2 window panes?

• Teri | T. Moore Home

It sounds like you've got condensation in your panes. This is a common issue with older (10+ years) vinyl window. When they're manufactured, they're sealed with a layer of gas inside. Over time, the seal breaks down and the gas escapes, allowing for moisture penetration. I have the same issue and have found that the only real solution is to have them resealed by a professional. There are also DIY kits in which you drill a tiny hole in one of the panes of glass to allow for air to escape but that solution doesn't offer any long-term benefits.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If it makes you feel better, every one of my 16 windows has the exact same problem. The pro I talked to recommended just replacing them all, as even the professional resealing won't last as long as the new vinyl windows on the market.