Amanda Garvin
Amanda Garvin
  • Beaverton, OR

DIY Modern House Number

$30

DIY a modern house number sign with wood shims to improve your curb appeal. This unique address plaque is simple to make and looks great!

If you like this project, you can see more simple DIY projects ideas on my blog, A Crafted Passion.

Let me show you how to make your own.

diy modern house number

1) First, cut your base plywood that you will glue the wood shims to. Mine was about 15"x26".

diy modern house number

2) Place your wood shims one by one next to each other with the fat edge of the shim flush with the edge of your base plywood.

Some wood shims come a little more beat up than others so pick and choose until you have them placed the way you want. Glue the shims on the board with wood glue, one shim at a time.

3) Once the glue has dried, run your wood shim board through the table saw to make the sides even.

diy modern house number

4) Sand all your edges and the top of your shims now to smooth everything out. 

5) Clean off your shim board to make sure there isn't any sawdust and then stain your board with a rag.  

diy modern house number

Time to add your numbers.

6) You can get 5" floating mount numbers on Amazon. Twist the mounts onto the back of the numbers and use a measuring tape to center your numbers. Once you get them placed, put some pressure on them to mark where you will need to drill. 

diy modern house number

7) Take your 1x2 common board and cut your wood at 45-degree angles using a miter saw or miter box to fit perfectly around the shim board.

8) Paint the frame with two coats of matte black spray paint.

9) Start with the long sides and add wood glue to the long edges and then set your shim board on a flat surface. Set the side boards and then pin them on the edges and middle with a micropinner to hold it until the glue dries.

diy modern house number

10) Now, you just need to hang your house number sign. 

I love how this turned out and slowly but surely the exterior of our home is starting to match the look of our interior!

If you want another simple DIY project using wood shims, check out this Modern Entryway Wall.

Amanda Garvin

• AngieZ

How did you attach the sign to your house? Just wondering what you used that would withstand the outside elements. I live in the northeast and we have every temperature possible (from below zero in the winters to the high 90s in the summers)! I'm not crazy about drilling screws into my vinyl siding although that's probably the way to go to insure that the sign won't fall off, or did you use a waterproof glue (like Gorilla Glue)?

• AngieZ

Thank you, Jeanne! I had no idea there were special hooks. I will definitely be purchasing them!!

• Sandra Ross Warren

Really nice piece! Great job! Love the contrast with the black and wood.

• Linda Premo

What a great project you made!!! It’s very unique and looks professionally made. Really a super looking address number design!! Thanks for your creative post!!