1) First, cut your base plywood that you will glue the wood shims to. Mine was about 15"x26".
DIY Modern House Number
DIY a modern house number sign with wood shims to improve your curb appeal. This unique address plaque is simple to make and looks great!
If you like this project, you can see more simple DIY projects ideas on my blog, A Crafted Passion.
Let me show you how to make your own.
2) Place your wood shims one by one next to each other with the fat edge of the shim flush with the edge of your base plywood.
Some wood shims come a little more beat up than others so pick and choose until you have them placed the way you want. Glue the shims on the board with wood glue, one shim at a time.
3) Once the glue has dried, run your wood shim board through the table saw to make the sides even.
4) Sand all your edges and the top of your shims now to smooth everything out.
5) Clean off your shim board to make sure there isn't any sawdust and then stain your board with a rag.
Time to add your numbers.
6) You can get 5" floating mount numbers on Amazon. Twist the mounts onto the back of the numbers and use a measuring tape to center your numbers. Once you get them placed, put some pressure on them to mark where you will need to drill.
7) Take your 1x2 common board and cut your wood at 45-degree angles using a miter saw or miter box to fit perfectly around the shim board.
8) Paint the frame with two coats of matte black spray paint.
9) Start with the long sides and add wood glue to the long edges and then set your shim board on a flat surface. Set the side boards and then pin them on the edges and middle with a micropinner to hold it until the glue dries.
10) Now, you just need to hang your house number sign.
I love how this turned out and slowly but surely the exterior of our home is starting to match the look of our interior!
If you want another simple DIY project using wood shims, check out this Modern Entryway Wall.
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!Go