Linda
Linda
  • Tallahassee, FL

Macrame Plant Hanger That Will Jazz Up Your Home Decor

$25

Minimalist decor is trending right now and this macrame project is easy to create. Fill it with plants, candles or whatever makes you smile. Follow these step by step instructions to make your own macrame hanger.

macrame plant hanger that will jazz up your home decor

Macrame hangers are popular right now and after you see this post you will not believe how it is to create one. Here is a list of supplies you will need.

• macrame cord
  • fabric scissors
  • ring (I used a bronze plain bracelet)
  • pots, mason jars or whatever you want to sit inside
  • 24" or longer ruler
  • plants, candles or whatever you want to decorate with

Now that you have all your supplies lay your ruler on the table and cut eight pieces of macrame cord. This is enough for one hanger so if you want two or more add eight more cut cords to your list.

Next gather all the cords and line them up on one end and tie a knot leaving a little tail of about two inches.

Once you tie the knot pull each cord to make sure it is nice and tight.

Next lay the knot on the table and lay out the cords like a star. This will help you keep things organized.

Sit your jar or pot in the center of the knot and measure up the cord at the bottom of the pot. This is where you will tie your first knot so make a mark on the cord (chalk or pencil) so you don't loose where the first knot will go.

Now grab the cord next to it and tie the first knot. It is just like tying a knot in your shoe laces. Repeat this step with the next two cords and so on until you have tied the first row of knots all the way around.

Next lay out all the cords again in a star shape and place the pot in the middle. Again draw up the cord on one side and make a mark for the second knot. This knot should be about half way up the pot. Now repeat the last step and tie knots all the way around.

Simply grab one cord from one knot and a cord from the knot next to it and tie those cords together in a knot. Repeat this step all the way around.

This is what it will look like with the second row of knots. Now repeat the last step and create a third row that is almost to the top of the pot.

Once you have multiple macrame hangers made tie them to a ring and cut the ends.

Now all you need to do is hang your macrame plant hangers and you have added a beautiful element to your home decor. I hope this post has been helpful and I hope you enjoy bringing this sweet piece to your home decor.

Linda

• Lynn Cuervo

I've been saving glass jars that my brand of yogurt comes in just for something like this!! Thanks, could you show how to put multiple jars on the same hanger?

• Jeanne Martin

Hi Lynn....No offense to the poster but this isn't technically true macrame. It's easy and it works so I understand just tying simple knots. Actual macrame uses 4 cords for each square knot. Here's a link to a macrame wall hanging that holds 4 different pots/jars or whatever you decide to use. How to make the knots is described but I've done macrame since the 70's so I don't need knot lessons. You may need to look up macrame knots to learn them, but trust me, they are not hard to do! I'm making this wall hanging for my boho daughter and her first home!

https://www.hometalk.com/30122515/macrame-hanging-herb-garden

• Bbr30200983

I am definitely going to do this.Thank you for giving such great details of how to make these.

• Susan

This is the first time ever that I have understood the technique for designing macrame planters, thank you so much for your very well presented instructions.

• Linda

That is fantastic! Glad it makes sense. 😁