Asked on Apr 18, 2019

How do I repair a settlement crack in my wall?

Kathy Gunter LawSuzetteDee


There is about a 12 inch crack (settlement) in wall under window. I know I need spackle but I don't know how to do this. My husband always took care of these things. Since he past I am stuck. Can you help?

4 answers
  • Jessica VanderVeen
    on Apr 18, 2019

    I'm so sorry for your loss. Could you see if you could hire a mason to fix it for you?

  • Dee
    on Apr 18, 2019

    Buy some stretch caulk, fill in the crack. Make sure you level it to the wall. If you use spackle, make sure you over fill it. Buy the one that is pink and turns white when dry. Sand it down with a light sanding sponge and prime and paint. You must prime the area or the paint will not stick correctly.

  • Suzette
    on Apr 18, 2019

    Hi Joyce, Here's a how to video that may help:

    Good luck!

  • Kathy Gunter Law
    on Apr 18, 2019

    Fill with premixed drywall joint compound, using a wide joint knife. Put it on in thin coats and don't leave any bumps, that it makes the "finishing" process more difficult.

    Once it is dry, smooth with a damp sponge (I like the car wash kind), this is better than sanding because it won't make such a big mess. You may have to repeat the process. Then you can paint.

Your comment...