Mary parker
Mary parker
  • Fort Smith, AR
Asked on Apr 18, 2019

Can I whitewash painted brick?

Mary parkerJaniceDee
+2

I have a grey, painted brick fireplace and I really want to give it a whitewash look. Is that even possible?? Without stripping the paint and creating a daunting task, is there a way to do it and make it look great?!! Here is a pic! Thanks in advance!

q whitewashing painted brick
  • Jessica VanderVeen

Sure! You can do whitewash right over the paint. The grey paint might bleed through a bit,but I think that's the appeal of whitewash. If you want the original brick color to peep through a bit, you could lightly sand the existing paint around the edges, without too much work, to have the original color show through

• Mary parker

That is what I was hoping for! Do you think I should do a primer in the grout or just do the paint/water?

• Dee

I had a friend who used Brick Anew Kit and her fireplace is beautiful. It has lasted many years without touch ups.

• Janice

You can certainly do a whitewash over the grey painted brick. Just mix the white paint with water and get started. You can play with the look you want and do layers of white wash until you get it finished the way that pleases you. Funny how just a little change and totally invigorate a room's look and feel. Change it up!

• Mary parker

The mortar goes back about 2" in the brick. Should I paint the mortar with primer first?