Thea
Thea
  • South Africa

Hang a Picture Gallery Without Making Cutouts

$1

Who has time to laboriously measure and cut replicas of artworks in order to arrange them on a wall? This is much easier.

hang a picture gallery without making cutouts

It is the day before Easter. The table is set but the wall above the fireplace looks like a huge blue abstract painting in its glorious blue bareness. I have a set of watercolours that my mom painted that will fit perfectly but the idea of arranging them is daunting.

I know the theory is to meticulously copy each artwork by measuring and cutting them out on paper and then meticulously arrange the whole lot to absolute perfection. Ja right! I am so exhausted I can’t stand on my feet, let alone find paper to cut. Besides, the cutout method doesn’t make provision for colour, theme or style issues.

So here’s what you do:

You lay everything including the furniture on the floor as if the floor was the wall. Lay the furniture flat on its side, like I did with the table and lamp. Take care to match the dimensions and position of every fixture and every piece of furniture. You will also need a floor line and a ceiling line. I used two bath mats to match the size of the fireplace. Its height above the ground was measured but not much else. Not one artwork was measured. Then arrange the art as you wish.

Next, get on a ladder and double check the positioning. This copies the perspective from which you would normally view the art a bit better.

Once satisfied, take a photo (just for reference) of the layout and start copying it against the wall. You can see from the photo above we started measuring from the mock-up fireplace because it is a fixed point. We then copied the exact measurement against the wall, marked it out and hung the picture. Continue measuring and hanging until you have completed the wall.

And there you go, with the furniture back in position, all that you may need to do is to ensure that the works are level.

• Debra

How did you paint the walls..?

• Thea

Sorry I actually don’t have it anymore. Also, it would probably not be a brand that you are familiar with.

• Lillie

What light chandelier do u have? I love the glow and shadows. Off topic I know but please don’t edit it out!! It draws people in. Or me at least, to not speak to everyone’s likes or dislikes

• Thea

Please see below. Dimmable LED, from a standard light shop.

• Mary
    An hour ago

How to hang pitchures with out ruing the walls

• Thea
      30 minutes ago

The walls are plastered brick. Taking out the nails, fixing the holes with crack filler and repainting is easy enough. Not that we plan to any time soon.😃

• Leslie Weaver Huntsman

If you’re looking to balance out the whole wall, may I suggest placing crown molding around the edges of your wall fireplace. I wouldn’t go smaller than 3 or 4 inches wide on the crown and paint it the same color as your trim. I think the crown would give the fire place some weight and balance that whole wall out and probably give you the look you are going for.

However I am slightly OCD and I can’t stand one of my rooms to not balance well or not have a nice focal point. It makes me feel uneasy or off kilter if one side has all the furniture or big heavy items and the other little tables or just something scrawny. You peeps probably know exactly what I’m talking about! LOL

• Barbara Nickerson

I actually have a suggestion. I have used in the past, calendars of my favorite artists and bought cheaper frames. I love Charles Wysocki. A folk artist.