Hang a Picture Gallery Without Making Cutouts

$1

Who has time to laboriously measure and cut replicas of artworks in order to arrange them on a wall? This is much easier.

It is the day before Easter. The table is set but the wall above the fireplace looks like a huge blue abstract painting in its glorious blue bareness. I have a set of watercolours that my mom painted that will fit perfectly but the idea of arranging them is daunting.

I know the theory is to meticulously copy each artwork by measuring and cutting them out on paper and then meticulously arrange the whole lot to absolute perfection. Ja right! I am so exhausted I can’t stand on my feet, let alone find paper to cut. Besides, the cutout method doesn’t make provision for colour, theme or style issues.

So here’s what you do:

You lay everything including the furniture on the floor as if the floor was the wall. Lay the furniture flat on its side, like I did with the table and lamp. Take care to match the dimensions and position of every fixture and every piece of furniture. You will also need a floor line and a ceiling line. I used two bath mats to match the size of the fireplace. Its height above the ground was measured but not much else. Not one artwork was measured. Then arrange the art as you wish.

Next, get on a ladder and double check the positioning. This copies the perspective from which you would normally view the art a bit better.

Once satisfied, take a photo (just for reference) of the layout and start copying it against the wall. You can see from the photo above we started measuring from the mock-up fireplace because it is a fixed point. We then copied the exact measurement against the wall, marked it out and hung the picture. Continue measuring and hanging until you have completed the wall.

And there you go, with the furniture back in position, all that you may need to do is to ensure that the works are level.

Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th

• Debra

How did you paint the walls..?

• Thea

Sorry I actually don’t have it anymore. Also, it would probably not be a brand that you are familiar with.

• Lillie

What light chandelier do u have? I love the glow and shadows. Off topic I know but please don’t edit it out!! It draws people in. Or me at least, to not speak to everyone’s likes or dislikes

• Thea

Please see below. Dimmable LED, from a standard light shop.

• Mary

How to hang pitchures with out ruing the walls

• Linda Abate

A beautiful way of arranging your art work. This definitely is a great way to bring a room to life. GREAT JOB.

• Jodie

Really like this! And I like your choice of artwork! It's lovely - paintings all so very different, yet, somehow, the same softer colors! Very nice!

• Thea

Most of them are water colours that were painted by my mom so there is definitely a theme running through.