Mary parker
Mary parker
  • Fort Smith, AR
Asked on Apr 18, 2019

Can I shiplap over brick?

SharonPjo26908388Edie
+3

I have a full brick fireplace and want to shiplap over the top half as it has a cut out. We are going to whitewash tomorrow and add a mantel. Is that possible? Any advice? I hate the cutout and want to even it out. Attached is a pic.

q shiplap over brick
  • Kathy Gunter Law

I see no reason you can't add ship lap. Affix with masonry nails which will put holes in the brick. You can try a construction adhesive like power grab but I would advise trying one piece and see how well it holds after setting.

You can attach firing strips to the brick and shiplap over that. You can also glue the shiplap with liquid nails or Locktite Power Grab. Blue painters tape to hold it in place until the glue dries.

• Edie

I've seen alot of ship lap being used on different Home makeover shows and I think if you paint it the same color as the bricks that would look cool.

• Pjo26908388

I would build a frame that fits precisely inside the brick area. Then screw the ship lap to it. Mount it to the brick with Masonary screws.

Construction adjesive like Beats the Nails, Gorilla Glueand other construction adhesives will attach the ship lap too- but very hard to remove if you want a change in the future.

Consider a mantle as it may add to the overall design- with or without the ship lap. The indentation might become an asset once it is white washed.

• Sharon

Shiplap is just like the side of a boat ... it is a type of back cut in the wood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjNCXIA3JN4&t=288s for you can just make a faux wall of wood cladding leaving a gap between the boards, paint the brick a darker color so it shows the gap between the boards.