Annie
Annie
  • Canada

How to Grow Strawberries

$20

Strawberries can be grown in containers on your patio or in a garden bed in your yard. Or, you can grow them in gutters hung vertically on a stand, or planted in soil along the edge of your patio.

how to grow strawberries

After all, who doesn't like fresh strawberries in the spring and summer? Here's how we started a new garden bed for our strawberries.

post

This bed had already been used for growing vegetables. So, I just made sure to dig out all of the weeds.

The soil in this bed was in pretty good shape, but we did spread out a few inches of compost on top.

post

Then I dug a hole to put the new strawberry plant in. I like to get the hole ready before transplanting so the roots don't have a chance at all to dry out. I also like to put a hand shovel's worth of compost right in the hole.

Whether you bought your strawberry plants in a garden pot or a cardboard sleeve, once you remove them, plant them right away.

post

Strawberry roots dry out very quickly as a lot of dirt falls away from the roots when you remove them from their container. Don't leave them exposed for long to the air.

Plant your strawberries about 10 inches apart; over time they will get bigger and start sending out runners. These runners eventually find soil, root them selves and grow new plants.

post

Once your strawberry plants settle in and start to grow, they will begin to flower. Those flowers turn into strawberries.

Make sure to water the bed or strawberry tower container regularly; strawberries are made up of a lot of water! So water every few days and berries will start forming and growing.

You will also begin to see strawberry runners forming.

post

Here is a runner - the mother plant is in the lower part of the photo. See the runner? The stem leading away from the mother?

Once the runner touches soil, it will start to root. Leaves will grow and eventually there will be flowers and berries too.

Once those runners are rooted, you can snip the long stem at either end. Now you've got yet another strawberry plant!

post

BUT, there are a few things to know about how to deal with the runners properly. If you don't, you could soon be overwhelmed with lots of strawberry plants...and small berries.

If you want to know more about the right planting depth for strawberries (too deep isn't good) and how to deal with all the runners, head over to the website for the full deal.

Country Living in a Cariboo Valley also shares the #1 tip you NEED to know, in order to grow huge strawberries!

Annie

• Cheryl

What’s the best way to keep the birds from eating all your strawberries?

• Three years in a row birds, raccoons and deer ate ALL of my berries. I was complaining to my little old man neighbor, he told me that foil will keep them out. Roll it up like tubes and place all the around the bed. I gotta say, so far, it's working! I've got a few turning red. The last few years they didnt even have time to change color before they were devoured. I had used grated Irish spring soap, even cut human hair. 🤞🤪

• Annie

Maybe you are watering too much (because they are going moldy)? You could try watering less but putting down mulch around the plants. Something like straw would work well. This would also keep the berries from touching the ground, which also may be helping the rot.

• Brandi Hanvy

Use some cinnamon sprinkled around and it will help with fungus or mold 😊