Greta
Greta
Asked on Apr 19, 2019

How do I repair a step stool that the cat dug into?

Gary WayneGretaHappy Days Hometalker
+7

q repair step stool the cat dug into
  • Kelli L. Milligan

Are you sure it was a house cat? Can't really tell the exact damage. Looks,like you can take the wood that is left and use as a pattern to cut a new piece and replace.

• Jeanette

Naughty kitty! I don't know.

• Cindy

Hi Greta. It's quite damaged. You should replace it. At least, it shouldn't be very expensive as it's just on the one side. Good luck with this project.

Replace it. Too much damage for any kind of repair.

• Candy B

You could use a build up of wood putty, sanding smooth once you get close enough to the original shape. When you have it where you want it, paint over it all. I did this once on window trim of a house we purchased. It takes a good bit of time, but ended up pretty close to what it should have been.

• Pjo26908388

Embrace the character that your wonderful cat added to the step stool. Cats need to scratch to wear sown their claws- it working. Leave it for the life of your sweet pet, it may become a fond memory.

PS I have a similar doorway to a bathroom.

• Carolinagirl

Last resort...just give it to the cat!

• Happy Days Hometalker

I love the " embrace the character " answer with the " give it to the cat ". Yes our sweet pets leave us to fast, it will be a fond memory of your sweet cat every time you look at the step stool once gone.

• Greta

Thanks for all the great replies. My brother made it in high school & he passed away in 2005. His cat that did the damage passed away in 2006. It has had sentimental value to me. Might just make a little padded cover for it. Will still keep looking at everyone’s ideas though. Thanks again!

• Gary Wayne

Cover it with a piece of carpet or rug and share with kitty for an optional scratching post.