Crickett Miller
Crickett Miller
  • Saint Louis, MO
Asked on Apr 19, 2019

How to paint a fabric panel bed?

VickymcreationsJane McVeigh McNeeBrandi 46
+4

I'm interested in changing the color of this creamy oatmeal fabric panel bed. I've read a few posts online. Does anyone on the Hometalk DIY forum have suggestions or recommendations on how best to tackle this?

q how to paint a fabric panel bed

Interested in changing to a more dramatic color

• Recreated Designs

Hi Chrickett. I have painted fabric a lot and would recommend using a paint with no synthetic latex in it. I love Annie Sloan Chalk Paint or a powdered milk paint for this type of project. You will want to keep a spray bottle handy and spritz the fabric as you are working. This will help the paint to absorb evenly. I also thin down the paint so that it absorbs well. I will take several coats and I always use a fine grade sandpaper between each coat to sand and knock off any grit and smooth it out. You can finish it with a wax and it will leave lovely. Hope that helps!

• Crickett Miller

Very helpful, thank you Recreated Designs!

• Suzette

Hi Crickett, Here's a how to video that may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW-3MAllAa0

Have fun!

• Deb

why paint it? get some great fabric and cover it!!!

• Brandi 46

Heirloom Traditions Finish All paint. They have a fb page too. Their paint is wonderful and can be used on everything

• Jane McVeigh McNee

HI,

I washed my fabric with a clean damp cloth. let dry. then used a very cheap fabric softener from Dollar General mixed it with water, 2 cups fabric softener to 5 cups of water.

then washed the fabric with a sponge. let dry overnight. make sure it is dry before you paint. I used Behr flat latex and mixed with 1 part fabric medium with 6 parts paint.. (some people would recommended 1 part ratio to 4 parts paint.) mine worked..

after first coat of paint, I sanded lightly, dusted off with vacuum and then did second coat of paint. worked out great and the two grandchildren have jumped on the beds, with chocolate covered hands (I am a granny, of course I gave them chocolate),.. and it washed up great with damp rag..

good luck and hope your project works out as well.

• Vickymcreations

Heres another video you may find helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JznrRnbv-do