Asked on Apr 19, 2019

How to keep 2-3 ft long amaryllis leaves from falling over/cracking?

TereLynn Sorrell

--I tried to tie them together & stake them put still have issues. I know they give nutrients to bulb but Can I cut them back (especially where they cracked)? --Also Can they survive 48° nights if they are against the house and shelter by a bush?

• Lynn Sorrell

don't cut them off til they have died back, the nutrients from the leaves return back into the plant to form the bulb/corms. put something over them like basket, trash can if it's plastic or metal don't let it touch plant leaves. then place cover/towel over the container.In order to bloom, amaryllis bulbs must be exposed to temperatures of 50 to 55 degrees F for a minimum of 8 to 10 weeks. are they in pots or ground? they should be fine. to tie/stake them need long thin pieces that you can place in tripod/ teepee over the plant then place string around the leaves.

• Tere

Yes! You can cut them back to approx. 3" tall. They can survive outside. It is recommended that you cover them w/mulch for protection during the winter cold months.

• Tere

cont. ....

that is in US zones 8-10!