Donna Borkowski
Donna Borkowski
  • Winona, MN
Asked on Apr 20, 2019

How do I stop my cats from fighting ?

Grandma LynTedwardLisa
+3

thinking about building a catio? suggestions?

• Mogie

Identify the aggressor and victim, then separate the cats when they can´t be supervised. Give the aggressor corrective measures, and the victim rewards.

Corrective measures can include: confinement in a less attractive space; place a collar and bell on the aggressor; squirt the aggressor with a water sprayer during aggressive acts.

For the victim give rewards such as free roam of the house, plus edible and affection rewards.

Gradually increase the supervised interaction, rewarding good behavior and using corrective measures against cat aggression.

• Laura

I had a screenedin porch added to the back of my house. Kitties love it and so do I! It is my favorite room in the whole house.

Hi Donna: A squirt gun is a good idea, but it only halts the action temporarily. Are the cats spayed/neutered? If not, that may help. Also, the aggressive cat may feel that it's not getting enough attention from you. My one cat was always picking on the older cat, so if there's an age difference, that may be a cause. When you see the cat being aggressive, tell it "No" in a firm voice, then put it into a room and shut the door for an hour or so. When you let it out, hug and love it. Just let it know that that type of behaviour isn't going to float! Love the other cat in front of the aggressor so that it knows that you're not going to be bullied by it and that the other cat needs love too. If you make a catio, I'd put a divider in so each cat has it's own space. And, maybe trim the nails? Good luck

• Lisa

If cats are bored they will fight. Make sure you play with them. Make sure they have toys, and install shelves on walls in steps so the cat can reach it to get away from each other. Get several cat trees and install them by several different windows.

• Tedward

Give one to your cousin who lives in Timbucto and they'll never fight again

• Grandma Lyn

Are the cats neutered. That solved my problem.