Pennie Nelson
Pennie Nelson
  • New Port Richey, FL
Asked on Apr 20, 2019

How to glue glass to glass for outdoor purpose?

Alberta CoulterTedwardLynn Sorrell
+5

I'm putting together to glass items to make a simple bird bath for in my garden; what kind of glue should I use that is weather proof?

Hi Pennie: There are several types you can use, E6000, Loctite, Gel Glue etc. Just about any waterproof glue. There are various reasons why the the glue doesn't bond. The surface is not totally cleaned (I use alcohol), an outdated tube, yeah, glue gets old! Make sure you glue to a secure area that is not slick or the glue won't hold. You can rough it up with sand paper in needed. Preparation and using the right product are the keys to success! Good luck

E6000 glue.

• Lynn Sorrell

use alcohol to clean the piece before glueing, then Marine hard dry epoxy would be the best for a solid waterproof bond----Loctite® Epoxy Marine

The discussion you entered was for a ceramic plate to brass base. I agree E6000 would no be a good glue for this application. Any two part epoxy would work. This kind of bond would require a hard solid bond. I have used E6000 for glass to glass, glass to bowling balls, glass to wood with no problem. It does the job without the expense of two part epoxy. Going on four years on a bowling ball and still holding. Glass bead window mosaic two years and still holding. Glass bead/wood welcome yard sign and still holding. Only the wood has weathered a lovely gray.

• Tedward

Try silicone caulk. That's what they use on fish tanks. Don't get over anxious to see if it worked. Let it set for 8 hours at least.

• Alberta Coulter

I have a bird bath I'm making. I used E6000 to glue flat glass marbles and shells to a 12 inch terracotta plant saucer. I'm going to use resin to seal it. I'm hoping that will work.