DesertRose
DesertRose
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Phoenix, AZ

Sea Salt Sand Art

$3

I have always loved the looks of sand art but I never bothered to craft shop for all the various colors and supplies to make this lovely decoration. Then I realized, I had all the supplies on hand in my crafts and hutch cabinet. Turn your pantry supplies and crafts into beautiful decorations for you new spring look!

sea salt sand art

For this project all you need sea salt, sidewalk chalk, sandwich bags, hand grater, and glass containers of any size or shape. You can use any salt, but the sea salt is a slightly larger crystal. It gives a better "sand" look.

sea salt sand art

I did not have inexpensive sandwich bags on hand, but I had many zipper bags left over from freezing fruit last fall. The zip tops made it easier to mix the "sand." But I get ahead of myself.

sea salt sand art

First grate several colors of sidewalk chalk and pour it in a baggy. Then for each piece of chalk, add about a cup of sea salt in the bag. Mix the color and salt together in the bag with the top tightly closed.

sea salt sand art

For this project I used 2 chalk and 2 cups of salt per bag and mixed the colored chalk well with the sea salt. Now the fun begins!

sea salt sand art

After you mix the salt and chalk in each bag, pour a layer of each color in a glass container. Some I leave just the sand layers for a plain but colorful look, but in others I add a topper.

sea salt sand art

Succulents, small candles or faux versions of the same all look beautiful in small open containers or taller vases. If children participate in the project they might like to add miniature plastic dinosaurs, horses, trucks, or stone faux cacti. The sky is the limit with both the toppers and colors of sand.

sea salt sand art

I set mine on my built in hutch and I love how it brightens up the new spring look to the dining room. I love making sand art this way because this is an easy, inexpensive, family friendly project. Let me know if you try it too! This cost me nothing, but if you bought everything for ONE it may cost you about $3 without toppers.

• Flower

How Can a plant live in sea salt and chalk?

• DesertRose

Joanie, perhaps, but they like it dissolved or slight at best, not rooted in it I would imagine.

• Iamsewcrazy

Do you have any issues with humidity making the salt melt?

• He-Maw Jenkins

I live in north-central Florida where the humidity is "THE" worst, but you can also use "white" play sand for sand boxes--buy it at Home Depot or Lowe's. I'm a retired kindergarten teacher & cub scout leader, so I know the sand works well, also. Recently, I used some old baby/body powder with the chalk & I read cornstarch works, too.

• Christine White

Can you use Epsom salt in the place of sea salt?

• Val
    Yesterday

I did this project with my grandson and we both had a great time. We made Mother's Day gifts and used tealights for toppers. We found some at the dollar store that flicker. We used recycled creamer bottles for storing the mixture and my grandson thinks this is so cool. Thanks for the idea

• DesertRose
      An hour ago

How wonderful! It is so fun and he will never forget the time he spent with you making the beautiful sand art and tea lights. Yes, I agree, the flickering tea lights are the best! So glad you had this time with him. Thanks for letting me know, Val!!