Jenni Ingram
Jenni Ingram
  • Wexford, PA

Before & After Desk Transformation

$20

This little desk was found by a friend. It was a cute little desk, with good bones, solid structure, perfectly functional, but it wasn’t the look she wanted. You see, she was in the process of redecorating her room, and had a color scheme going, and a vision. She needed a desk, but not one that was an orange maple color.

before after desk transformation

Here’s the desk when we started.

before after desk transformation

We chose to refinish the top and really make the wood pop. She had a favorite wood tone that was used in other places in her room she wanted to replicate, so we sanded using a palm sander and restained the top. Revealing a beautiful piece of wood underneath.

before after desk transformation

Then we painted the base of the desk a dark rich charcoal gray. It’s her favorite color and contrasts nicely to her light blue walls. Painting it this neutral dark gray will also last her a long time to come with however her space and decor may change over time. 

before after desk transformation

Just like that, with a little elbow grease, and some vision, this piece looks like a whole different desk! 

before after desk transformation

We added a few new pieces of hardware, and darkened the knobs that were already there. This little desk went home to a whole new room and will be the focal point in the room my friend can be proud of.

Wouldn’t you love to learn how to paint furniture like this?? If so, join me in my upcoming furniture painting class: Painting Furniture with Confidence. In the class you will learn step by step how to paint a piece of furniture, how to choose the right color, how to prep and paint your piece, how to be proud of your furniture and new found skills for years to come!

Happy Painting!

Jenni

Jenni Ingram

• Lou

What colour and brand of stain did you use on the top?

• Laurie

The top in the sanding picture doesn’t look like oak, but the edge view looks like quarter-sawn oak. Did you use veneer?

• Shannon W

In the second picture could you tell me what the tool is? I have never seen anything like it but it appears to be some kind of sander? Thanks :)

• Shannon W

Robyn Garner- THANK you so much, I never would have guessed... What a great idea, I didn't even know there was such a thing and wait all winter to get outside to sand my projects :0 Definitely looking in to this!!!