Stacy Davis
Stacy Davis
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Spring Cleaning - Refrigerator Edition

$0

I don’t know why but cleaning my fridge is a dreaded task. I think it is because it can be time consuming so I decided to implement some things to make it easier. Shelf liner and storage bins. One more tip! I like to label my glass containers with chalk markers. You can see a picture in the comments section. I think plastic containers would work too because I used plastic storage containers and chalk markers in this post on Hometalk.

post

Before - Yikes! It’s a mess.

I’m lucky that my bins lift right off the door so I just moved them to the counter that easily. I started with one side door, then the main area and finished with the other side door.

post

In warm water, I add a drop of dish washing soap, a good splash of white vinegar and a healthy sprinkling of baking soda. I use this to wash the shelves and interior walls of the fridge. I will caution you that once about ten years ago, I made the water too hot and when I put the glass shelves in, they shattered into a million pieces. I remember how fun it was to try to drain the sink and not let the pieces of glass go into the garbage disposal. Talk about learning a lesson the hard way..

post

If something doesn’t easily wash off, I break out the magic eraser. See all those tiny pieces, I can’t tell you how long I was scrubbing and doing nothing and in seconds, the magic eraser took it off. I even used it on the glass shelves if something wouldn’t come off.

post

Next, I traced with a pencil on the shelf liner.

post

Cut it out...

post

Perfect fit.

post

Check for expired items while you are removing everything.

post

I grouped like items together so that they would go back in the fridge organized.

post

In no time, I was seeing progress.

post

One side done.

post

Next - I purchased some bins to organize the snack \ lunch items.

post

Happy day! A clean organized fridge. The bins and shelf liner will help keep it clean or make it easier to clean in the future... at least I hope so! PS - I decided not to shelf liner every shelf because I liked seeing through some of them. Maybe clear shelf liner would work? Has anyone tried that?

What is your favorite refrigerator cleaning tip?

Update: Shortly after posting this I walked through the kitchen to find my daughter standing in front of the open refrigerator. I said, “I cleaned and organized the fridge.” Nonchalantly. For some reason, I expected her to reply “Really? I couldn’t tell.” Instead, She shouts, “I know! I am SHOCKED!!” I wish there was a way to convey the level of disbelief in her voice. 🤣 I almost dropped what I was carrying. You all, I am not known for my clean refrigerator ability, until now. Let’s hope that I’ve turned a corner.

post

Since there are already some shelf liner tutorials on Hometalk, I am adding 3 of my favorite kitchen things to make this post a little different.

This is one of my favorite things in the whole world. It is a raised dishwasher. I didn’t realize why it is wonderful until I began using it. No more bending over to load and unload the dishwasher. I am fairly tall so I really love this.

spring cleaning refrigerator edition

I love this magnetic knife holder. It is so fun to stick the knives to the powerful magnets. Just be careful because it will pull them right out of your hand.

The other items on the right are self adhesive V shaped towel holders. I didn’t have anywhere for a towel bar and I ended up liking these better. The towels stay in place much better.

spring cleaning refrigerator edition

Several days after my fridge makeover, my son did some grocery shopping. He remarked how great the refrigerator looked. Later, when I opened it, I could tell he added his items carefully and made them look as visually appealing as possible. I guess cleaning and organizing can be contagious. It kind of made my day that new items weren’t just thrown into the fridge thoughtlessly.

• Diane

Where did all the bins and trays come from? Im looking for some affordable ones?

• Stacy Davis

The bins on the left are Dollar Tree and the two types on the right are HomeGoods. I think the the HomeGoods ones were $4 for the smaller and $7 for the larger, I think. But the Dollar Tree ones really work just as well.

• Emma

I also put dollar tree place mats on the shelves

• Ronda

Where did you get the v shaped towel holders?

• Ashley

Just a tip for anyone with this problem...My fridge has metal racks rather than glass shelves, except for the bottom two drawers...It makes cleaning a real pain honestly, but I found a way to make it easier...I take the racks, glass, and drawers all out at once, then stick them in the shower,and spray them with a strong cleaner like purple power or kaboom, let it sit for about 5 min, then spray it all off with the sprayer head attachment. This gets all of them clean all at once, and letting them sit gives me time to scrub out the interior of the fridge without anything in the way. Once all of the mess is gone, I spray a little of the pink clorox fragranzia cleaner, which smells amazing by the way, then wipe that off, refill the fridge, and I'm done. The results are awesome, until someone spills something inside, doesn't say anything, and I have to start all over again that is...

• Susan
    30 minutes ago

Measure your racks and put plexiglass on them; now you won’t have to constantly scrub those metal racks. Or, add bins for lunch meat, cheeses, etc..