The Easiest Most Amazing Flowers to Grow

$15

What is hands down the easiest, most beautiful flowers to grow? It’s lilies! There are lots of different varieties of lilies - Asiatic, Oriental, LA Hybrid, Trumpet, etc. etc. We won’t make this complicated though because it doesn’t matter what variety you want to plant, you’ll end up with a beautiful, fragrant lily.

Here's what you do to grow these amazing flowers.

the easiest most amazing flowers to grow

Lily bulbs can either be planted in the fall or the spring for summer blooms. First of all, you're going to dig a hole to plant your lily bulbs in. Lilies do best in well drained soil, so the bulbs don't rot. Typically when plant bulbs you want to plant them three times the size of the bulb. So if your lily bulb is 3 inches tall, you'll plant it 9 inches deep.

You also want the hole to be big enough to hold a bunch of lily bulbs. I would say at least 5 bulbs. They look better grown in clumps or mounds.

Next, I like to mix in a few tablespoons of an organic bulb fertilizer like Espoma. You don't want your bulbs sitting directly on top of the fertilizer, so be sure to mix it into the soil.

Place the bulbs in the prepared hole with the hairy root side down and the pointed side up. Fill the hole back in with the soil you dug out and tamp it down gently.

Now the waiting begins, but soon you'll see the little nubs of green emerging from the soil. It won't be long now, so it's okay to get excited!

As you can see, the wait is so worth it! For your patience and a minimal amount of work, you'll be rewarded with these amazing, gorgeous flowers!

So now that you know how, go to your local big box store or garden center and buy some lily bulbs to plant.

If you'd like more information about Growing and Caring for Lilies, plus lots more lily pictures, please stop by Gingham Gardens.

Joanna - Gingham Gardens

• Valerie Van Bergeijk

I have planted lilies several times, but some critter always eats the flowers. Any tips for repelling them?

• Liz

So far the deer have not eaten my Lillies but they do like Hosta's. I have shredded Irish Spring soap and spread it around my Hostas and shrubs and so far, knock on wood, they have left them alone. If the deer get desperate they will eat anything does not matter what you do. They have come right up on my deck to get my Petunias out of my pots.

• Jjqq

How long will the lilies actually last after they bloom? Will they last for the summer months or just a few weeks?

• Pat Hendricks

I had some lasted just a few weeks. They are beautiful tho. Wish they lasted longer.