Bella Renovare
Bella Renovare
  • Cheyenne, WY

How To Add Gold Leaf To Your Projects With Ease

$20

So first things first, you will either love me or hate me after this blog. One because gold leaf or whatever color you choose is sooooo sooo easy you will be like I could have totally done that without her help. Two it can be wicked messy!

Now let me also say that some fine artists use leafing and it looks super smooth and perfect, I how ever do not leafing that way, I like more of a messy unrefined leafing look. This post says gold leaf, but I am using copper leaf for this project. It is all the same, just different colors. They make gold leaf, copper leaf, silver leaf, bronze leaf, and even colored leafing. Whatever color you choose this concept is the same for all.

how to add gold leaf to your projects with ease

Do you want that extra wow factor to your projects? Gold leaf is the answer! Well really gold leaf, copper leaf, silver leaf, and more let me show you how!

Let's Start Blinging

You will want to choose a good leafing medium. Gold leaf medium is what you will put down on your piece prior to the actual leafing. Think of this like a glue, you will put it down where you want, then walk away and let it tack up for about 15-20 minutes. I have a few different favorite mediums, for this project I used the one I like from hobby lobby. It's thicker so it doesn't drip. I pour some onto a paper plate, then use a chip brush to put it where I want.

Adding The Gold Leaf

Once your medium had tacked up, you will add the leafing. You will pull the sheets from the package and put them on top of the medium. 

After you have placed your leafing where you want it, you will use the second chip brush and brush it away. Yes it will get messy. I had a cute little helper with me!! This will get the excess leafing off and will help smooth out your finish. 

look how cool the finished product is!!

Bella Renovare

• Jaswan

And then what? After brushing off the leaf do you apply any finish? Or do you apply on piece after it’s completely finished ... like on top of waxed or varnished/poly finish?