Sawdust & Whiskey
Sawdust & Whiskey
  • Nashville, TN

How to Reupholster With Leather

$300

I saved $2500 by making this chair a diy project?!?! INSANE. Here’s how I did it...

how to reupholster with leather

I had my eye on this chair for months!!! Was I ever going to spend $2800?! No. Not even close. I kept my eyes on FB marketplace for similar options😉

how to reupholster with leather

The same frame!!!!! I found the frame for $200🎉🎉 Someone’s dog ripped hi the cushions so they were selling this “as is”...now for the fun, and new to me part!!

how to reupholster with leather

I made 1/4” plywood bottoms for the cushions so I’d have something to staple to and I also needed the strength.

how to reupholster with leather

I ordered 5” cushion off Amazon and cut it to size. The only tricky cut was the back since it had to mimic the chair angle but I got it as close as I could with a knife😂

how to reupholster with leather

Cushions cut at the right angle and now it was time to find leather! I ordered a few yards of faux bison and thought it looked too fake and had a metallic tint so I went and tried my luck at the local Tandy leather store.

how to reupholster with leather

Found a HUGE white one (I was hoping to do dark) in the sale bin for $65!!! The hide was big enough to do both cushions AND have left overs for throw pillows. 🙌🏼🙌🏼

how to reupholster with leather

I got everything cut and added plenty of length to get around all that 5” cushion. Staple, staple, staple....now, is there a better, cleaner looking way to do this? FOR SURE!! As a wood worker, did I just want to make this look good and get back to the shop? Yes😂

how to reupholster with leather

Nothing beats the smell of leather❤️ Comfy chair for a fraction of the price. I think I’ll incorporate leather into future pieces!!

To see more: //www.sawdustandwhiskey.com

• Mary

I like the idea but you could have made it really pop if you had drilled holes in the plywood and added leather covered buttons for the tuck and roll look that ads a finished touch to leather.

• Patricia

Love this!!! Fantastic job.