Asked on Apr 22, 2019

How do I go about building a deck?

Mr ATCKelli L. MilliganFrugalFamilyTimes.com
+1

• Lifestyles Homes

This is way too complicated to teach you on line.

The easiest thing you can do is go down to your local City Building Department and pick up their Deck and Balcony "Hand out". It will tell you about their requirements for framing, fasteners, foundation and handrail/guardrail requirements, based on the national residential building code.

Once you've become familiar with all of these terms and requirements, then you can design your deck, buy the proper materials and fasteners, plan what order things must be done in and get the proper help you're going to need to build this.

If you choose to design something outside of the prototypical construction methodologies on the "City Hand Out" then you will have to get a design professional to do the required calculations, drawings and specifications, so that you can submit for a Building Permit. This is for your safety, as a Building Permit is a three way contract between you, your contractor and the City. Once the City signs off on the Building Permit, then all potential liability has been mitigated. If you don't know how to hire a design professional, let me know. I am one.

• Kelli L. Milligan

First thing to do is a set of drawings and get your permit. Our neighbor didn't do that and had to tear it all down plus pay a fine. It was really nice too.

• Mr ATC

I have tried this idea to build one for a friend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHICI7pjIsg

hope this help you