Songbird Upcycled Wind Chime

$3

One of the things I love about spring is the sound of songbirds. Even though their dawn chorus wakes me up at the crack of dawn! Many of the songbirds are really colourful and pretty too. I recently curated a collection of vintage songbird paintings that are free to download on the blog (get them here). I thought it would be fun to use some of these gorgeous bird illustration to decorate an charming upcycled wind chime for the garden.

post

To make this wind chime I used 3 tin cans of different sizes. The main thing is to make sure that the tin cans fit inside one another. I also used some old cutlery in the form of a metal spoon.

post

First remove the labels from the tin cans and drill a hole in the bottom of each one.

post

Then spray paint the cans. I used a different colour for each one.

post

Next, I printed out some of the songbirds. (You can get this from the blog link at the end).

post

I then cut out each songbird from the sheet.

post

Then using decoupage glue I stuck 2 birds to each tin can. Make sure the birds are at the bottom of the tins as they will overlap slightly.

To seal the birds and protect them from the elements spray paint them and the tin cans with an acrylic varnish.

post

Next, starting with the largest tin can thread some twine through the tin can. Tie a knot in the twine to stop it passing through the can. Then add the middle sized can, again knotting the twine. You want the cans to overlap sightly. Finish off with the smallest tin can.

post

Finish off by adding a metal spoon or fork to the end of the twine. If you want a more twinkly sounding windchime you can add more than one spoon or fork

songbird upcycled wind chime

I have some beautiful free butterfly images on the blog (see here) which would also look fabulous on a wind chime.

Claire Armstrong

• Donna

What type of paint do we purchase and can you use old magazines for birds. Or butter flys

• Claire Armstrong

i used Montana gold spray paints, but it you spray the paints with an acrylic varnish to protect them at the end. You can use magazine images too as long as you protect the wind chime with a varnish of some sort.

• Carol

I'm going to try this and see what happens. I have almost all of the items, except the spray paint. Can I use any kind of spray paint?

• Sandy Byram Holt
    14 hours ago

How does it make any sound when the spoon doesn't hit against anything?

• Wendy D'Agostino

Thank you for including the links to the butterfly pictures. I am in my garden/ yard almost all summer (as soon as it's warm enough to be out there). I always make sure I have a camera or phone to take pictures of butterflies or other interesting insects. For identification of butterflies I've discovered that you need to photograph them with wings open and closed; the closed wings have a different pattern and make it easier to identify the butterfly. I'm going to try your windchime idea; it looks remarkable.

Thank you again for the butterfly links.

One note about butterflies, just like birds they need water too just not as deep and they like them closer to the ground.

• Beverley Hathor

Great