Nohoff
Nohoff
  • Tallahassee, FL
Asked on Apr 22, 2019

How do I cover up this ugly electrical panel??

Jessica VanderVeenWendy CochranO.shag
+24

This guest room is in our walkout basement so the backyard can be seen out the windows. The electrical panel was installed near the top of the wall without a finished front.

The bed bed is in the suitable place in the room. I tried the look of attaching a solid thin board with Velcro, but it looked strange and still drew attention to the eyesore. Some of the sheet rock cane off when I took it down.

I welcome any suggestions! Thanks!

q how do i cover up this ugly electrical panel
  • Carol Jackson

Throw a picture

• JeannieTaberGreen

How about using the new hooks that don't damage wall surface (from hardware store: 3M brand, all sizes and colors) to hang something like an attractive poster, or a long "tapestry"---either purchased specially, or handmade. Get creative. Even a colorful scarf or shawl could be adapted. Something soft and light, that can be easily unhooked to get at the door to the electrical. In our basement guest room we've even used a large colorful polyester kite to cover a spot, then draped the "tail" across the top of the window. Casual, colorful. Bottom line: have fun with something that doesn't even have to be permanent. Change when bored!

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

What about finding something reclaimed and hanging it there? Maybe an interesting stained glass or grate? Or a quilt could be hung on a rod overtop and still allow easy access to the panel. :)

• Kathy Gunter Law

I hung a canvas over mine and used magnets to affix it without putting holes in the wall.

• Kelli Murphy

That sounds great - if the canvas had a print or something on it. The magnets? Clever!!

• Lynn Sorrell

a lrg picture on hinges;a tapestry/quilt; picture or mirror on picture hooks;shutter on hinges;nice big dart board;huge hanging plant covering it hanging from either ceiling or wall hooks

• Karen Colp

I bought a barnwood frame at Hobby Lobby (it is super light weight), then used wall panel planks (that come in a box like laminate flooring at Lowe's or Home Depot) to cover the opening, hung it with hinge on left so it swings out of the way. I hung a large clock on mine, but you could add anything that fits your decor or personality.

• Michelle

I put a frame around mine which is located in the kitchen, then used chalkboard paint, can still be access

• Melissa Quinn

We put a cabinet door with frame over ours and painted it an accent color.

• Dfm

my electrician says don’t cover them. Weather they are in the house or on the back of the house.

The problem is the height. Practically up to the ceiling. How about a hanging curio or small narrow shelf display case mounted on the wall with french cleat. A few knick knacks to cover the panel. The french cleat would allow it to be removed when needed.

• Ajohnsonfamily

I beautiful painting! You can add a nice trim around and even add hinges so panting swings open! GoodLuck ( add a shutter)

• Vickymcreations

how about a small shelf just below? with ornaments on display, creating a feature out of the different texture

• Victoria

Hang up a wall hanging, small quilt etc. Something in a hard frame can always be shifting around etc.

• Kelli Murphy

check this. take off the hanging string, use push pins at ceiling height to hang?

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=wall%20tapestry%20fiber%20art

• Rymea

Having the head of the bed on that wall puts the focus on it.

• O.shag

Can't see if there is equal space on other side of window? You could put curtains across that whole wall to give illusion of a wall of windows. Or if you decide to put up picture, poster, tapestry,etc. and there is space on other side of the window, you could add same to that side for symmetry.

• O.shag

Papering the wall and the electric box would help hide it. Might need a thicker type paper. Wood shutters or even bifold doors used as a screen across just that part or the entire wall might look nice. Could even hang decor on it. I actually used louvered closet doors as a headboard and put those tiny string lights on it and hung some wooden masks.

• Wendy Cochran

Check your electrical codes for state. If it's covered in anyway insurance might deny coverage. Maybe some kind of abstract painting

• Jessica VanderVeen

What about a floor to ceiling wall mirror with a chunky wood frame?

• Nohoff

I think the mirror would have to be hung near the ceiling to cover up the panel. I’m not sure how that would look. Thanks for the suggestion.