DIY the French Country Look on a Budget

$100
1 Week

If you’re into DIY, but working on a budget then you NEED to be stalking Facebook marketplace and your local swap pages. I had been looking to change up the feel of our dining room decor, and really had my heart set on a round pedestal table with a gorgeous detailed base. If you’ve looked into purchasing a dining table with any sort of character then you’re well aware they can cost a small fortune. Diligent stalking of the marketplace let me to a table with a gorgeous base for a cool $75. SOLD.

diy the french country look on a budget

diy the french country look on a budget

The top needed some SERIOUS work, but that base made my heart skip a beat. Having never stripped a piece of furniture in my life, I naturally chose to tackle this piece as my first project.

Here’s a list of the supplies I used.

• Citristrip
  • Saran Wrap
  • Stripping pads
  • Plastic Scraper
  • Old rags
  • Drop cloth
  • Sponges
  • Gloves
  • Bleach ( I used regular Clorox)
  • Liming Wax

I did my late night Pinterest browsing a.k.a. "research" and found that Citristrip would be the best option to limit the use of harsh smelly chemicals. I purchased both the liquid as well as the spray and got to work.The table originally had a leaf that was now missing and a split base. I dismantled as much as I could to get access to the most surface area possible. I painted the Citristrip onto the top and base using an old chip brush, then used the spray can to get into any nooks and crannies. Multiple DIY-ers recommended covering the piece with saran wrap and letting it sit overnight (shown on the left side of above image).

diy the french country look on a budget

This was the aftermath of an overnight Citristrip "masque." It quite literally resembled something that would come out of an oil filter. I almost threw in the towel at this point, but I had too much invested. I scraped off as much as I could with a plastic scraper, then scrubbed with the 3M stripping pads and a little bit of water. I did a final wipe down with mineral spirits to get any remaining residue off.

diy the french country look on a budget

After TONS of scrubbing and scraping I was left with this on the top.

diy the french country look on a budget

and this on the base.

diy the french country look on a budget

diy the french country look on a budget

The top still needed some sections repaired. I filled in any substainal missing wood and rot using JB Kwik Weld putty and wood filler.

diy the french country look on a budget

A portion of the top had been broken off at one point, and poorly repaired. A removed that portion of the top, sanded down the old glue and reattached using my Kreg Jig for extra stabilizing.

diy the french country look on a budget

For the bleaching process I simply wiped the surfaces down with 100% kitchen bleach. Be sure to do this outside for ventilation purposes, and use protective gloves. Doing this on a sunny day will speed up the drying process. I bleached with six coats and was left with the lightened wood look you see here on the right. After sanding down with 220 grit sandpaper I applied the Briwax liming wax (shown here on the left side for comparison).

diy the french country look on a budget

diy the french country look on a budget

Once everything was reassembled I was left with this beauty! The French Country look on a budget. This was a very time consuming process, but the end result was so worth it. You can see even more after images as well as instructions over on the blog!

Jessica @ The Martin Nest

• Carla Seltveit

Try denatured alcohol, it will pull all the lacquer off and bring up the dirt from deep in the wood. However you need to have a lot of air, not a winter job. Mask, gloves, paint brush, steel wool, lots of rags. Lay the denatured alcohol on with a brush let it sit until you see gummy like appearance. Use a putty knife or an old metal spatula to scrap off the goop. Continue the process until you get the tone you want. I did a whole 1890' house. with bad rot on the window seals and it did a great job. But caution, if you don't wear heavy duty gloves and your skin will burn. Do not inhale the denatured alcohol ever.

• Sue

Oh my,beautiful.I just love the legs.Great job.