Easy DIY Bracket Shelves

$20

If you're looking for a quick an easy update to any space, these DIY bracket shelves are a great option! I’ve used them in two bathrooms and my laundry room. Make use of your vertical space for storage and decor with this quick naptime project.

easy diy bracket shelves

easy diy bracket shelves

Step One: Prep your boards. I chose to use 2x common board cut to length for my space. Common board can have a slight yellow tint to it at times, and can be a little rough. I sanded mine down well with a 120 grit paper followed by a 220 grit paper then applied my stain. I used to coats of the weathered stain, and distressed slightly with 220 grit again after the application. There are so many ways to customize these!

easy diy bracket shelves

I stained mine with this odor free / low VOC Old Barn Milk Paint stain. It has no smell and dries quickly, but gives you an aged and weather look. Clearly this can has gotten a lot of use, because I just love this stuff!

easy diy bracket shelves

Step Two: Hang your brackets. If you’ll be placing anything of significant weight on these shelves you’ll want to try and find a stud first. If it lines up correctly, pre dill your holes and secure the bracket to the wall. Because I wanted mine evenly spaced, I wasn’t always able to do this. WallDog self anchoring screws are a breeze. They serve as both an anchor and screw into drywall when you can’t find the stud, and can hold a good amount of weight. Just be sure to not over tighten. TIP: When hanging your second bracket be sure to level from the top or bottom of the actual bracket vs. lining up the screw holes. Not all brackets are created equal, and the screw holes will not always line up evenly.

easy diy bracket shelves

As you can see. Not all brackets are created equal.

easy diy bracket shelves

easy diy bracket shelves

Step three: Place your boards!

easy diy bracket shelves

Get a cute little helper. It makes the project that much more enjoyable!

easy diy bracket shelves

Check for level!

easy diy bracket shelves

These particular brackets also have mounting holes from the bottom if you’d like extra reinforcement.

easy diy bracket shelves

Step Four: Decorate!! Shown here in my guest bathroom, the shelving can serve as both decoration and storage.

easy diy bracket shelves

And again here in my laundry room.

That's it! This super simple project makes a big impact in any space for a minimal cost investment. Be sure to check out the blog link for more on this project and other fun DIYs!

Jessica @ The Martin Nest

• Linda Premo

Hey are you the awesome round table lady? These shelves are great because the brackets look like wood jewelry. Love these too. Thanks for sharing❣️

• Charise.

Amazing! I have a million brackets, boards, screws, a drill, a stud finder...everything I need to put up a shelf in almost every inch of wall in my home. The problem: I so afraid to drill a hole in the wall. One of these days, I'll conquer that fear. lol!