DIY Lego Workstation Using Ikea Skadis

$75

I’ve fought the organizational challenge that is LEGO for so long. We’ve tried sorting by color, size, building kit etc…. you name it we’ve tried it. We own a LOT of LEGOS. So the majority of them reside in an Ikea trofast setup in our finished basement.Inevitably, the small pieces still make their way upstairs, so I wanted a small space for the boys to build and create in their room. I came up with this LEGO workstation using simple box store shelving and the Ikea SKADIS pegboard system. It houses just enough pieces to keep them occupied and incorporates some fuss free storage options.

diy lego workstation using ikea skadis

The SKADIS system is attached to this small railing system that allows it to be mounted away from the wail for full pegboard functionality. Shown here are two separate pegboards that I mounted right next to each other.

diy lego workstation using ikea skadis

Hanging and leveling the railing system is the hardest part of installing this system. One the railing is up, the pegboards just screw into pre-drilled holes in the railing.

diy lego workstation using ikea skadis

diy lego workstation using ikea skadis

A variety of different SKADIS accessories are available, but these plastic pull out bins were perfect for the organization of the LEGOs.

post

I knew I wanted a way to separate the colors in true ROYGBIV fashion. The bins hook right into the pegboard, and the durable plastic will hold up well.

diy lego workstation using ikea skadis

The shelving is supported by some basic unfinished wood brackets I found at Walmart. They’re a $4 dupe that look just like the Ikea Ekby bracket. I painted the raw wood a matte black spray paint, and simply placed the pre made shelves on top.

post

The shelves and desktop were constructed from basic white closest shelving you can purchase at most home improvement type stores. The laminate finish allows them to be easily wiped down when we we have sticky fingers.I mounted the worktop using basic metal L brackets from underneath. Make sure to place into studs or use anchors to support their weight.

post

My little master builders love having their own space to create. If you want even more details on how I created this space hop on over to the blog to read. You can also check out this space featured in a recent Apartment Therapy article showing even more creative ways to use the IKEA SKADIS system.

Jessica @ The Martin Nest

• Gail

Where are the rest of the legos? My kids had large industrial tub fulls of them? I did have a friend who had a large closet under her roof and made it the lego closet. they put low flat carpet down for comfort and let them build all the time and then just shut the door. Projects were in progress for weeks. never had to put them away. WE don't all have that luxury>

• Jessica @ The Martin Nest

Hi Gail! As mentioned in the article, this is nowhere near our full LEGO collection. I keep the majority of them in large bins as part of an IKEA trofast system. They also store many of them in clear shoe bins right inside their bedroom closet. This is just a small creative space that they enjoy having in their room for small builds. Bonus, it also doubles as a homework / coloring and play doh station from time to time.

• Doug Murphy

Where did you get that Yoda lego picture from?

• Anne

The area is very well done. I love the sign...I think every parent would walk over LEGOs for their kiddos! Made my day! Fond memories of playing LEGOs with my Dad.

• Shelli
    30 minutes ago

Wonderful idea. My grandson will b 4 next year. So this gives me a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing