How do you paint fireplace door insert?

+5

I need a new fireplace door with glass inserts but when I have been shopping for it it seems my house has a fireplace opening that does not fit any of the current doors available without having to customize one for $1,000. The one I have is a brass frame with glass bi-fold doors. One area along the base does seem to have a burn mark. I thought it might work to paint the door instead of investing $1,000.

• Baxter Baxter on Apr 23, 2019

Here are lots of instructionals showing how to paint a fireplace insert. Good luck!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/70509550394308929/?lp=true

• Celeste Celeste on Apr 23, 2019

Baxter,

Thanks for the info. I checked out pinterest and it seems like it should be fairly straightforward and easy enough. Thanks again.

• Tabitha Tabitha on Apr 23, 2019

Depending on the color you want, you can purchase high heat spray paint (some come in quarts too) from the hardware store or amazon. Make sure it’s high heat! Rust-Oleum makes it for 1200° and 2000°. I’d ask a fireplace store of the approximate temps of said fireplace.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Apr 23, 2019

You will want to use a high heat paint. Clean it well then "sand"with steel wool, wipe down with denatured alcohol, tape off and your are ready to paint.

• Celeste Celeste on Apr 23, 2019

Kathy,

Thanks for the information especially about using the steel wool and wiping it down with the denatured alcohol. I wouldn't have thought to do that.

• Yep!! That totally can work, I've done it myself for the exact same reason. It's amazing how just painting the frame of the fireplace doors from that tacky brass to black can make such a huge difference. The key is to use the right paint. Here is the high-heat paint I used, and it held up great! (click to go to shopping link)

• Celeste Celeste on Apr 23, 2019

I will check out this paint. It is good to hear from someone who has already done this and had good results.