How to get rid of poison ivy and oak vines in yard using the vinegar, salt and dish soap? Please help!!
Please do not use salt to kill anything in your yard. It kills the microbes in the soil and nothing will grow there. If you have a high water table, it can also leach into it.
I've found the best for poisonous vines is to use a commercial product that kills the roots so it doesn't come back next year.
If you snip it near the root, it will die and then you can remove it. That's what I do whenever I find it growing on our property.
I snip from the base, then apply a brush killer tryclopr to the stump with a small paint brush. This feels way better than spraying weed killer everywhere!
Vinegar will also kill anything that it touches and sterilizes the soil. There is no way to guarantee that home made weed killers will kill the root since it is really tenacious. I would go with a commercial product that is made for poison ivy for better results.
Hi Minnie: This works well: Get a product called ground clear, it kills everything! You can get it at most home improvement stores. Then, put some in a small can and paint the undersides of the leaves with this, using a small foam brush. Be sure not to get the ground clear on anything else. The plant will take the poison to the roots, through the leaves, and kill just this plant - if you are careful not to get the ground clear on anything else. You can use this method on any plant you want to get rid of. If you are worried about the leaves touching your other plants, cut the unwanted plant short, leaving several leaves, paint the leaves with the ground clear and then cover it with a plastic bag and secure it to the ground. That way, even the wind won't blow the poisoned vine onto your other plants. Good luck with this, invasive plants are the worst!
If you are, or you know someone who is, diabetic, ask for one of their used needles, fill it with the ground clear and inject it, in a downwards direction, directly into the vine. Then, be sure to dispose of the needle properly and don't touch the needle part because you may get some of the poison ivy oil on you.