Love & Renovations
Love & Renovations
  • Leander, TX

DIY Thrift Store Table Makeover

$25

I love heading to the thrift store and finding things to give new life to! Here's a peek at a table I found on Facebook Marketplace and gave a total overhaul to - you won't even believe it's the same table! If you love this project, check out my website, Love & Renovations, for more easy and affordable DIY ideas.

diy thrift store table makeover

Here's a look at the before of the table - it had really gorgeous bones and was well-constructed, but the finish had seen better days and there were some places (especially on the top) where the veneer was chipping away.

diy thrift store table makeover

I started by giving the entire thing a coat of matte black chalk paint. Chalk paint doesn't just have to be used on pieces you want to distress - if you leave it alone, it leaves a really pretty matte finish that feels modern and fresh!

diy thrift store table makeover

Next, we removed the ridges on the top of the table and filled in the holes left behind with wood filler. We sanded the entire table top and then applied marble contact paper. You can read the full blog post for the exact details on how I applied the paper, but a quick tip is to use a hair dryer on the hot setting to go around curved edges and corners - it allows the paper to flex a bit more and you can push it into the exact position you want it!

diy thrift store table makeover

Finally, I added new knobs to the drawer and put my table in place! It's barely recognizable and I LOVE how it turned out!

Love & Renovations

• Kathi

Did you need to sand prior to painting? thanks, it's lovely!

• Pamela

This is really nice! I would paint the knobs black to hide the slight misalignment of the holes. And what about the top piece of wood- did you discard to make it easier to apply the marble paper?

• Sharon Huneycutt Harris

I'm pretty sure the misalignment of the holes is due to the camera position not the table. A massed produced piece of furniture would have measured holes. She did a charming job on it didn't she!?! Real wood furniture like this should be saved because we rarely get it new.

• Carline Lee

Its Beautiful.What is Marble Contact paper?where u fine it.?

• Shelly Austin

There's a link under her article with the supply list. It takes you directly to Amazon.

• Suzanne

you did a really awesome,job.Im drawn to the black&grey furniture now.I have a peice of furniture, same type,&color.im going to redo that ,like pictured here.thats how impressed ,I am.

• Joanie

You like, it's yours. I like the grain of wood.....